Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwc

Roku stick doesn't have USB port

Jump to solution

I have a purple Roku streaming stick new in plastic wrap serial #1EJ46N070394.  It has a reset button and an unlit indicator light but no USB port on the back.  How do I power this unit on?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku stick doesn't have USB port

Jump to solution

While it may look new, you have a very old 3400 MHL stick.  It can only be used in a TV that has an MHL-enabled HDMI port, of which there are very few.  It's really not worth the trouble as it can't run many of the newer channels/apps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

atc98092

Jump to solution

And the reason it doesn't have a power port is that MHL devices are powered through the MHL port. Also why there's no remote, as the TV remote controls the MHL device as well. But as @renojim said, it's really not worth anything (released Oct 2012), and isn't compatible with the majority of the latest channels. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
renojim

Jump to solution

While it may look new, you have a very old 3400 MHL stick.  It can only be used in a TV that has an MHL-enabled HDMI port, of which there are very few.  It's really not worth the trouble as it can't run many of the newer channels/apps.

I am not a Roku employee.
atc98092

Jump to solution

And the reason it doesn't have a power port is that MHL devices are powered through the MHL port. Also why there's no remote, as the TV remote controls the MHL device as well. But as @renojim said, it's really not worth anything (released Oct 2012), and isn't compatible with the majority of the latest channels. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
rwc

Jump to solution

Believe it or not I have a 2016 Samsung UN50JU6401F with an MHL port - plugged the Roku in and it worked using the Samsung remote.  I didn't test Roku with Netflix et al because that's already a smart TV but now I know it works.  Learned something new.  Thanks!

0 Kudos