Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tibbsatl

Roku starts up then it leads to not supported

When I plug in my Roku I get the Roku logo but then it says not supported and then it says no signal. Anyone have this issue?

8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku starts up then it leads to not supported

I believe the "not supported" message probably comes from your tv, telling you the device you are trying to view is sending its video signal in a format not supported by that tv. 

Here's what I think is happening:

During the initial HDMI "handshake" in which the Roku and TV exchange information about capabilities, the Roku is interpreting feedback from the TV as saying the TV supports a resolution (4K maybe) that the TV doesn't actually support. So after the startup when the Roku switches its output to that unsupported resolution, the TV can't display it.

I'd suggest trying the Roku on a different TV if you have one, especially if it has a working Roku.  If it comes up okay there, go into Settings > Display type and change the Roku to the actual resolution of the problem set instead of the "auto" setting. When you get to the countdown screen click on the "yes" option. Now move the Roku back to the first set and see if it works.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
LancerD

I Have the same problem after a lightning strike took out a power transformer. When power returned I can only get the roku start up then it leads to not supported. I tried reset, power off and on, different tv input jacks. No matter what I get the same result. I was hoping there was some way to get it to work.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @LancerD

Thanks for the post.

Could you reply here with the model and the serial number of the affected Roku TV/device? It can be located at the back of the device itself. 

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
asherlev

This worked like a charm. If you have a second TV. Went into settings on ROKU and set it to "auto detect " resolution 720 and 1080 (factory installed resolution range for my Vizio). Reconnected to original TV (different HDMI port for good measure). Back to normal. Hope this helps! 🙂

"I'd suggest trying the Roku on a different TV if you have one, especially if it has a working Roku.  If it comes up okay there, go into Settings > Display type and change the Roku to the actual resolution of the problem set instead of the "auto" setting. When you get to the countdown screen click on the "yes" option. Now move the Roku back to the first set and see if it works."

Boaterr26
Reel Rookie

IDK If anyone gave this response yet but my screen starts with “Unable to Connect”. Then there is an option to check your wireless connection or “Restart Roku Device”. I click the Restart option, then after that the screen says Format Not Supported “. After waiting about 10 seconds the screen changes to the Home page like everything is ok. Then it works fine. BTY, this is a 2 year old basic Roku Stick which I’ve used in at least 3 different TV’s. 

0 Kudos

Thank you SO much! I purchased a slightly used and smaller TV that's a Phillips and this worked like a charm! When I checked the settings on another TV it was on auto and I changed it down to 780 resolution. I appreciate your help!!

0 Kudos
dotbot
Reel Rookie

Is there any way to fix this problem if you don't have another TV?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @dotbot

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos