Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku setup code vs. email setup

I work for a custom AV installer and one of our recent jobs involved installing 7 Roku Ultras in a client's home. I noticed, during this setup, that some of the Rokus will display a 4-digit code that you are to enter on roku.com/link, and some of the Rokus require you to type in the email address on the Roku itself and wait for an email to come through to complete the setup. This is only a problem for us because the clients are not always at home and they are usually very busy people who may not be able to get away long enough to set up their Roku while at work, which leaves us at a standstill if we have nothing else to do. I was just wondering, why is the case? All of the Rokus were bought at the same time, all the same model, but some prompted email setup and some allowed us to setup with roku.com/link.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku setup code vs. email setup

Those that want an email address, I would do factory reset and see if you get link code on screen for them too. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You have a choice.  

If you look closer at the screen during set up you'll discover that there is a button under the input field that will permit you to switch to the pin.  But I agree!  New units never been used before should have the same factory default.  Someone in quality control is dozing on the job. Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

@Curmudg_mike wrote:

Someone in quality control is dozing on the job. Smiley Surprised

Or.. some store is selling returned merchandise as new.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos