Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helppls1
Level 7

Roku not detecting local channels

Hi there,

I recently got my Roku. I am located in Canada, but I'm only being shown US apps and channels, e.g. Hulu (we don't have that in Canada). I looked up my local news app and I'm unable to download the app from the website and it doesn't come up when I search Roku on my tv. I already did a factory reset and nothing.

I was using a VPN before, but I did a factory reset and turned off VPN and still nothing has changed! Please help!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku not detecting local channels

@helppls1 wrote:

Hi there,

I recently got my Roku. I am located in Canada, but I'm only being shown US apps and channels, e.g. Hulu (we don't have that in Canada). I looked up my local news app and I'm unable to download the app from the website and it doesn't come up when I search Roku on my tv. I already did a factory reset and nothing.

I was using a VPN before, but I did a factory reset and turned off VPN and still nothing has changed! Please help!

These regional issues can sometimes be difficult to fix.

If you set up your Roku account while using the VPN that could be the problem causing your account location and actual IP to be a mismatch.   Try creating a NEW Roku account (tied to a Canadian email address just to be sure) while not using the VPN, then linking your Roku to the new account.   Sorry, that means going through the factory reset gauntlet again.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku not detecting local channels

@helppls1

Thanks for the post.

It sounds like you may have created a Roku account that isn't located in your current region. If channels in your region are not available, it may indicate that your device is linked to an account that was created in a different region where that channel may not be offered by the channel provider. You'll want to make sure that you are using an internet connection located in the correct region when creating your account. You can check your IP address' reported location by visiting www.whatismyip.com - If you see an issue, you'll need to contact your ISP to help resolve any issue.

We would recommend creating a new Roku account in your region. For more information about how to create a new account, visit our Support page here: How do I create a Roku® account? Once your new account is set up, try to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos