Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alejandra

Roku needs to be setup every time I turn it on

I got a new Roku Express. I finished up the configuration then I turn off the Tv and when I turn it back on it needs to be setup again. I have done this several times. I am able to add channels, watch movies and everything but if the TV is turn off It turns on as is the first time I am using it. 
I tried to create a new account, I used another network, I changed the HDMI port I was using and plugged it in another one. Hard reset it too. I reset the modem just in case it was related with the network, but it sounds more like the device memory or the Roku account... please help.

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku needs to be setup every time I turn it on

@Alejandra 

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet with the provided cable and adapter?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cgott567
Reel Rookie

I notice this was a while ago but I have the same issue now. Can I still get help?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@cgott567

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? In addition, how are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cgott567
Reel Rookie

I am using the streaming stick plus and I have it plugged into a wall outlet. Every time I turn the monitor on (that which the roku is connected to), I am at the let’s get started screen and I have to go through setup every time, put in my wifi, screen settings, and then I put in my email and finally when I’m on the last page of the activation process on my phone, the roku seems to remember me.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@cgott567

Thanks for the information.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to pass along your information to our Support team who will assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have this exact problem as well. I replaced a stick that died due to a wifi antenna with this one, and I have to go thru this process every time. 

I tried plugging it onto the wall, but I still have the issue.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@chrisintampa

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
mo5
Reel Rookie

I'm having this same issue as well. Is there a fix?

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @mo5

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us how your Roku device is powered? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Please keep us updated. 

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos