Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku for Hotel

Hey.

I've been asked to provide IPTV service to a small hotel in my area. I normally provide general IT support, but IPTV services is not something I'm familiar with. 

I came across Roku which seems like the best fitting service based on my research, but I have a few questions about setup-

-The hotel will likely need around 40 devices (one for each room). Should I set up all these devices under one account, or create a new account for each? I'm estimating that around 10 devices will be streaming at any given point in the day, possibly up to 20 if bookings are full.

-I read in a community post that there is a limit of devices that can be active per 'physical address'. Is this true? Is device activation limited by MAC address or the building address? 

-Is there any way to remotely manage a Roku device? So I don't have to go onsite to troubleshoot minor issues. There will be a Windows server running 24/7 at the location that I can RDP into.

I'm thinking of purchasing Roku Ultra devices, so they can be hard lined and not congesting the WiFi. I don't need 4K, so if there's another device that has an ethernet port please let me know.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku for Hotel

All of the Ultra's have Ethernet. Thats what I have and do, less problematic.

You dont need a Windows server. Roku has its own OS. I'm sure if you want to charge

for access there would be licensing concerns with Roku. All you need is a Router and switches.

I'm pretty sure there is a limit to the amount of Roku's you can pair to one account.

There are plenty of free channels and free content. Premium Channels would also

have a limit 4 usually.

You need to check back with one of the Admins on Monday.

@RokuDanny-R  or click on his name and send him a private message.

I'm sure they will accommodate you in your purchase and setup.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks boogernose. I'll definately contact Danny. 

Highlighted
Level 8

For anyone with similar questions, these are the replies by Danny-

-The hotel will likely need around 40 devices (one for each room). Should I set up all these devices under one account, or create a new account for each? I'm estimating that around 10 devices will be streaming at any given point in the day, possibly up to 20 if bookings are full.
We would recommend setting up the Roku devices under multiple accounts, not necessarily one per each device, but possibly in smaller batches. We have recommended other similar inquiries to use smaller batches based on location/floors/vicinities for easier management.

-I read in a community post that there is a limit of devices that can be active per 'physical address'. Is this true? Is device activation limited by MAC address or the building address? 
No there is no limit of Roku devices that can be activate based on physical address. As along as a Roku devices are linked to a Roku account, there should be no issues. We however strong recommend using what I have recommended in the above for easier management.

-Is there any way to remotely manage a Roku device? So I don't have to go onsite to troubleshoot minor issues.
Roku devices cannot be remotely accessed if that is what you are inquiring. You can however manage the devices that are linked on a Roku account.

-There will be a Windows server running 24/7 at the location that I can RDP into. I'm thinking of purchasing Roku Ultra devices, so they can be hard lined and not congesting the WiFi. I don't need 4K, so if there's another device that has an ethernet port please let me know.
The Roku Ultra devices are currently the only newer Roku devices that can be connected though ethernet port.

0 Kudos