Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TSwain
Level 7

Roku for College

Went to college, bought a Roku Premiere for my dorm room, can't figure out how to get it to work.  Do I need a home network before I can use it?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
C_I
Level 12

Re: Roku for College

@TSwain wrote:

Went to college, bought a Roku Premiere for my dorm room, can't figure out how to get it to work.  Do I need a home network before I can use it?

Yes, hook it into your dorm's WiFi.  If you are unsure of the password, look in your handbook or ask your R.A.  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku for College

Depending on the college network, you might need to authenticate your Roku player. There's a function that has to be enabled called Device Connect. On my Ultra, it's under Settings/System/Advanced system settings. Make sure it's enabled. Then when you connect to the college network and the Roku can't find an Internet connection, it will ask if you're in a hotel or dorm room. See this page for more detailed instructions. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos