Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku express initial software update stalls at about 60%

I have a new Express model and it will not finish the initial software update.  It reaches about 50% in a minute, then slowly climbs for approximately 15min to about 58%. Then the update fails with the code 005.

I have it on a 2.4ghz wireless network (b/g/n, channel 11) with no password and a dedicated  SSID.  It has an IP and is active on the router side. 

I have also tried using my phone as a hotspot, and various other wireless networks.

The router and Roku (30s factory reset)  have both been restarted.

I am using the Roku power supply.

I have left it unplugged overnight to completely cool down.

Unless this is something really obscure, the issue is not my network. It must be the device or the update.  

Can I avoid the initial setup and see if the thing works at all, prior to updating?

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku express initial software update stalls at about 60%

It sounds like you've tried everything.  The hotspot trick usually works.  The only thing I could suggest is try the hotspot without your phone connected to your Wi-Fi so it's only using the phone network (it will be using your mobile data, if that's an issue).

Here's some more unhelpful information:

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115002796148-what-should-i-do-if-my-roku-device-is-unable-to-...

https://community.roku.com/t5/Getting-Started-Setup-How-to/Roku-Express-Error-quot-Code-005-quot-Ini...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks.

When I tried to get the secret screen, nothing happens. I thought that might be dated info?

How sensitive is this process to bandwidth changes?  If the data slows to a trickle for a while does the software interpret that as a bad connection??

New info:

My phone was using wifi,  have a pay as you go wireless plan so I don't want to spend more for this if I can help it.  I tried it just to see if a different connection would make any difference.  Any idea how much data it takes to do the update?

It made it to 75% this morning. That's a new high, it took over an hour. I switched to a different HDMI port and changed my radio from b/g/n to b/g. I don't mind if it is slow, but I want it to finish!

I also got into the secret screen. I was using the purple arrows instead of the ffwd and rwd buttons.  As expected, it has an IP, etc. 

I plan to try it again early tomorrow morning. Maybe there's a load issue somewhere.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@MonkeyNinja 

Thanks for the information.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It finally updated after at least 10 attempts over many days.  I stopped changing things and just tried it over and over.  Many times it would reach 98% and then restart like it was complete, only to go back to the initialization screen.

I don't think anything specific on my end made it work and doing all these didn't result in immediate success.

1. Setup a dedicated 2.4 gHz b/g only network with no password

2. Used the Roku power supply

3. Plugged it into a spare computer monitor

0 Kudos