Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charliecooke
Channel Surfer

Roku express initial software update stalls at about 60%

After a couple of years without any technical problem, I have hit a huge snag. 
Everything is normal until I’m on the home screen with my various streaming apps. 
When I select an app, I hear the usual beep but the app won’t open. This is the case with all the apps. 
In my attempts to find the problem, I checked my settings. Everything was normal until I got to the system update. It told me the last software update was Oct.6. I then checked to see if my software is update. That was an hour ago. The software update is continuing to check for new software. 
I have unplugged my Roku Express to end the software check, but it is still there when I plug it back in. 
I’m now going to unplug it again and leave it unplugged overnight to see if that will break the cycle. 
As you may have guessed, I am not gifted technically so I would very much appreciate simple advice on what I might do. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express initial software update stalls at about 60%

@Charliecooke 

So, is it working now?                                

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Charliecooke
Channel Surfer

No. It’s still in the infinite software update. I’m now going to leave it plugged in all day and see how patient I can be. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Charliecooke 

If it suddenly starts working, great. However, were I in that situation, I'd take a different approach.

First, since the Roku Express is 2.4 GHz only, and if my wireless router was furnished by my ISP, I would confirm they didn't change the settings from b/g/n to g/n. If they did, I'd change them back.

If that wasn't the issue, and with a Roku stuck in update mode, even after a power cycle, I'd do a factory reset. With power applied, I would hold the RESET button for no less than 30 seconds. I would also realize that no less than 30 seconds means exactly that.

If that didn't resolve it, I would consider the Roku broken.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Charliecooke
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the advice. I will try it shortly and let you know how I get on. Im currently using a different Roku Express on a different TV to watch live football. 
Thank you. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Charliecooke 

You're watching football? At 11:13? What game is on this early?     

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Charliecooke
Channel Surfer

Soccer. Real football. 😀 The Premier League in England. It’s my passion and when DAZN won the streaming rights in Canada I had to get Roku to access DAZN on my smart TV. 

0 Kudos
Charliecooke
Channel Surfer

Well, nothing worked so I took your final advice — get a new one. It works perfectly so I’m happy again. Thank you very much for taking the time to advise me. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Charliecooke 

Sorry the solution involved buying a new device. Roku devices, even the Express, should last a while. If you have an original Express, that's five years. There's two ways of looking at that: Hey, a cheap streamer lasted five years, and Hey, it only lasted five years.

Regardless, I'm glad things are working now.

DBDukes

0 Kudos