Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mundopick
Level 7

Roku express+ initial setup failure

Hello, I'm a new Roku user, I've bought a Roku express+ at Walmart last week and as soon as I got home I installed it on my living room everything was great the bouncing Roku logo came on screen and then the setup screen asking me to select the language which I did, the next step was selecting my WiFi network, once connected a three step test was completed successfully, then Roku found a software update and asked me to press ok in order to install it, the process was fast from 0 to 100%. Then Roku restarted and the Roku logo came for like 1 second on screen and then off I thought it was normal procedure so I left it work but my tv was displaying a no signal banner and the Roku led was still on, so I waited a little more, after 10 or 15 minutes I realized something was wrong so I pressed the reset button on the back of the device and the bouncing Roku logo came back on, but again I had to do the setup process from the beginning, it went exactly as before, no error codes. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku express+ initial setup failure

I had a Roku TV that did this. After it connected to WiFi and installed a firmware update, it was stuck in a boot loop. Took it back to the store and got another, which worked fine. Sometimes there's just something wrong. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Mundopick
Level 7

Yes it looks like the best thing to do, today after work I'll take it back to Walmart and get another one, luckily I still have the receipt. Thanks
0 Kudos
Mundopick
Level 7

I've just came home from Walmart with a new Roku, they replaced it, no questions at all, this one works fine, I'm already watching Netflix. Thanks
0 Kudos
sasquatchua
Level 7

I'm experiencing something similar to this.  I plugged in a brand new Roku Express - got the Roku startup animation, it asked me my language preference and then my wifi login.  After this I just got a black screen.  It didn't even indicate to me that it was doing a firmware update, just a black screen.  Now when I unplug it or use the physical Reset, I see the startup animation followed by a black screen.  The white LED starts blinking and just keeps blinking forever.  Pressing remote buttons gives me navigation sounds from the TV speaker, but there's no visual.  Super disappointing that the factory reset can't undo whatever the problem is, and that Roku does not offer customer support on Roku Express.

EDIT: Turned out the Roku was not dead... it was a video detection problem. Discovered by accident that turning the TV off and on reinitialized the video and I really was back in the language selection dialog.  So I guess for future folks, try turning the TV off and on if you get in this state - in my case specifically needed to be done after the Roku startup animation has ended, because I had already tried unplugging both the Roku and the TV from the wall.
0 Kudos