Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdgreen14
Reel Rookie

Roku doesn't turn on properly

Jump to solution

This occurs after I turn off the roku express 4k+. When I go to turn it back on, the only way it will work is if I unplug the usb cord and then plug it back in. Any solutions to this?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku doesn't turn on properly

Jump to solution

@tdgreen14 

If you are using the power adapter, it may be related to a new "power savings" feature of the 10.5 Update.  I don't think it is working properly with some devices.  Try disabling this feature.

Settings..System..Power..Auto Power Savings [Disable/Uncheck]

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Mats52

Jump to solution

I have the 4K Stick. Same problem. 
Here is the solution: Settings-System-Power-Auto power savings-uncheck the box. It worked for me.

Mats

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @tdgreen14

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us how you are powering your Roku Express 4K+? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know if this works for you.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@tdgreen14 

If you are using the power adapter, it may be related to a new "power savings" feature of the 10.5 Update.  I don't think it is working properly with some devices.  Try disabling this feature.

Settings..System..Power..Auto Power Savings [Disable/Uncheck]

0 Kudos
tdgreen14
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, I do have it powered into a wall outlet as well as connected to the television.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@tdgreen14 wrote:

Thanks, I do have it powered into a wall outlet as well as connected to the television.

To clarify, the "power supply" is a USB cable that runs from the player to a power adapter (cube) that is plugged into the wall.  The audio and video connection is an HDMI cable plugged into your television into your HDMI port of your TV.

Did disabling the Power Savings feature in your Roku Settings fix your issue?

0 Kudos
tdgreen14
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, disabling the power savings feature does seem to have solved the issue. Thank you for the advice!

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem, my Roku express (brand new) only works if I unplug and then power on each time I use it.

In trying this latest suggestion, I found no "Power" option in my Settings unfortunately.

Any suggestions on where I can find this option.  I have searched all Setting options thoroughly.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Mats52

Jump to solution

I have the 4K Stick. Same problem. 
Here is the solution: Settings-System-Power-Auto power savings-uncheck the box. It worked for me.

Mats

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@BeaufortBob, check the software version displayed under Settings->System->About.  If it's not at least 10.5 you won't see the "power saving" option.  Even if it is, not all devices seem to have the option.  What's the model number displayed with the software version?

Make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tdgreen14
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That was it. That solved the problem. Thanks!

0 Kudos