Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ASant
Level 7

Roku and Vacation Rental Property

Thinking about a Roku or Roku enabled TV for a vacation rental property.    I know nothing of the mechanics of how this would work, so asking for help:  My general question is:
Can I provide this amenity to enable guests who have, (for example),  a Netflix account to sign in to their account to watch their content?
Specifically;
1.  Does the Roku require an initial set up that would require me to enter email / personal / credit card information, and if so, is there a way to block guests' access to (at least) the credit card info?
2.  Would the best initial set up be to create a separate email address that is not associated with my day-to-day email
3.  Would guests need to sign in (Password/email address etc)  to the Roku device or would it be always "on' and ready to go,  so that all they need to do is select Netflix and use their own log in credentials to view Netflix content?
4.  Any potential pit-falls to offering this amenity?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku and Vacation Rental Property

"ASant" wrote:
Thinking about a Roku or Roku enabled TV for a vacation rental property.    I know nothing of the mechanics of how this would work, so asking for help:  My general question is:
Can I provide this amenity to enable guests who have, (for example),  a Netflix account to sign in to their account to watch their content?
Specifically;
1.  Does the Roku require an initial set up that would require me to enter email / personal / credit card information, and if so, is there a way to block guests' access to (at least) the credit card info?
2.  Would the best initial set up be to create a separate email address that is not associated with my day-to-day email
3.  Would guests need to sign in (Password/email address etc)  to the Roku device or would it be always "on' and ready to go,  so that all they need to do is select Netflix and use their own log in credentials to view Netflix content?

1. No credit card is required to complete setup. I believe there does need to be a Roku account, but you could create one just for the rental unit. That would mean a different email address than the one used for your personal Roku players.
2. See above
3. Once setup is complete, the Roku will be on a ready to go. Yes, they would need to use their own account information for Amazon, Netflix, etc. 
4. There's no simple way to remove their personal login information without doing a hard reset. That would mean performing the initial Roku setup from scratch every time. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ASant
Level 7

Thanks so much for your quick and informative response!
So to be sure I completely get it;  No guest needs to sign in to my newly created Roku account...  Guest A could visit, sign in to their Netflix account.  After they vacate the premises, Guest B could sign in to their Amazon account and use that for the week, then so on and so on.  Correct?

And one last thing...  Each guest would need to sign out of course to block future guests from using their account.  Do you (or anyone here) know if, for example, Guest A forgets to sign out of their Netflix account from the Roku device before vacating the premises, can they sign out of their account from the Roku device from another location?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"ASant" wrote:
Thanks so much for your quick and informative response!
So to be sure I completely get it;  No guest needs to sign in to my newly created Roku account...  Guest A could visit, sign in to their Netflix account.  After they vacate the premises, Guest B could sign in to their Amazon account and use that for the week, then so on and so on.  Correct?

And one last thing...  Each guest would need to sign out of course to block future guests from using their account.  Do you (or anyone here) know if, for example, Guest A forgets to sign out of their Netflix account from the Roku device before vacating the premises, can they sign out of their account from the Roku device from another location?

If the guest remembers to log out of their account, then it wouldn't be absolutely required to reset the Roku every time. You could also check it yourself between guests and log them out too. The one thing I'm unsure of is the Amazon login. Seems to me that I logged into my Amazon account from the web site, not the device. Just looked at the Amazon settings menu, and it does have a link to deregister the Roku from the Amazon account. What I can't remember is if you can register it without a computer. But if they left it registered you can remove it from their account.
I just logged into my Amazon account to see if I can deactivate a Roku from their web page. Doesn't look like it, because the only devices listed were our two Kindle Fire tablets. For Netflix and the rest, I don't believe there's any way to sign out of a device remotely. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ASant
Level 7

Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

A few years ago we stayed a month at a rental that had a tv with netflix app. I signed in and used out account, then the day we were to leave I was able to log into netflix online and disconnect devices. Doing that meant that I had to add my roku back to netflix but not a roku set up from factory.
To be certain, I also had the tv at the rental reset, erasing all user accounts.
I guess if guests input their account info and don't remove it the next guests can use it. All you can do is warn them.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"dgrace" wrote:
A few years ago we stayed a month at a rental that had a tv with netflix app. I signed in and used out account, then the day we were to leave I was able to log into netflix online and disconnect devices. Doing that meant that I had to add my roku back to netflix but not a roku set up from factory.
To be certain, I also had the tv at the rental reset, erasing all user accounts.
I guess if guests input their account info and don't remove it the next guests can use it. All you can do is warn them.

Thread re-opened by a spammer..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Who, me, Asant (the OP) or Dan?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I have a feeling Tanner deleted a post, which makes yours appear out of nowhere.  Smiley LOL
Dan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"adamhenry" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"ASant" wrote:
Specifically;

1. No credit card is required to complete setup. I believe there does need to be a Roku account, but you could create one just for the rental unit. That would mean a different email address than the one used for your personal Roku players.
2. See above
3. Once setup is complete, the Roku will be on a ready to go. Yes, they would need to use their own account information for Amazon, Netflix, etc. 
4. There's no simple way to remove their personal login information without doing a hard reset. That would mean performing the initial Roku setup from scratch every time. 

It's really great news for the new user.
Thanks

Adamhenry, this post is pretty old, and Roku has a new function that might help you out. Once you've set up a new Roku player or TV, you can find a "Guest Mode" in the settings menu. I belive that will give you the ability to hide your personal information from other users and allow them to use their own credentials for Netflix, etc. 
Dan
0 Kudos