Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Level 8

Roku and Smart Home assistants need help

Hey all,
I've recently gotten into the smart home assistant market.  I have both an Amazon Echo Plus, and a Google home.  With Alexa, I was able link my Roku to Alexa accounts and have 1 Roku linked.
A while back, I was able to get some functionality with the Google assistant app and one of my Roku units.  However things have changed.  I no longer have the Roku I was using then.  In the Home application, I'm able to select Roku from "Works with Google". However,  I don't get prompted to sign in, I just shows a spinning circle, and returns to my Home View.  I also don't get any options on selecting a Roku device to use.  Has Roku discontinued support?  I have tried to find information on how to unlink the account, and start over, but am unable to find information on how to do that.

I could use some help.  Either someone to confirm this feature no longer works, or I have done something wrong.  Thanks.

By the way I am in the US, I did see a posting on the google forums about a Canadian user not being able to use it as it was only US only at the time of the post.

Thanks again.  By the way, I probably will have far more control over my ChromeCast(s), but I still wanted to try Roku with the physical Google home speaker.

I've been able to use it with Alexa, and while it's limited compared the chrome cast, it seems to work.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku and Smart Home assistants need help

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. Have you tried following our steps here for setting up the Google Assistant to control your Roku? https://support.roku.com/article/360009649613-how-do-i-control-my-roku-streaming-device-with-the-goo...

You might also try uninstalling and reinstalling the mobile app, or using a different mobile device for setup to see if that has any effect on what you're experiencing. Please keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. Have you tried following our steps here for setting up the Google Assistant to control your Roku? https://support.roku.com/article/360009649613-how-do-i-control-my-roku-streaming-device-with-the-goo...

You might also try uninstalling and reinstalling the mobile app, or using a different mobile device for setup to see if that has any effect on what you're experiencing. Please keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner

Hi Tanner,
Will try the steps of uninstalling, and reinstalling the mobile app to see if it makes a difference.  I did follow the instructions on Roku's support site for initially connecting my Roku account to Google assistant about a year or so ago.  that was before I got google hardware, and was simply testing with the google apps for iOS.  One other thing I wanted to check on,  Is the issue maybe because I've connected my Roku account to Alexa as well? Can Roku only be linked to one assistant at a time?  Thanks. Will keep you posted.
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

Hi Tanner, and anyone else who reads this.  I tried some troubleshooting on this issue (including a reinstall of the Roku mobile app.)

I was just never able to get Google Home and my Roku account to connect.  I did unlink my Roku account from Amazon Alexa as well, just in case having my Roku account linked to both services was causing issues.  I did some research on what exactly I would get connecting to Google Home, and did some experimenting with Alexa as well.  I decided to let the issue go, because it looks like I won't get the amount of voice control over the Roku player(s) like I would from a device such as a Chromecast, or Chromecast enabled device, which I was initially hoping for when linking my Roku Player (s) to my smart assistant.  Thanks again for the help.  If I have overlooked any information, please let me know.

Have a great day!

UPDATE: I was able to resolve the issue, I had to go into my google settings and unlink Roku, then Re-Link, and my current devices showed up without issues.  With that said, I still find the functionality pretty limited compared to what I would like.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update here and for sharing the feedback. I'm glad you were able to get things cleared up again! 

We're always looking for ways to continue improving and appreciate you sharing the perspective. I'll be sure to pass your thoughts along to our team.

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos