Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
denishurley
Level 7

Roku XD: When plugged in, get Roku loading screen, then white screen

Hello!

This is my first time posting on the forum. I'm trying to set my folks up with my Roku XD (it's several years old). I'm using the AV input and a 9v transformer. The TV screen displays the Roku logo and "Loading, please wait" for a few seconds before turning all white. It looks like the power source should be a 5v transformer, but I think I was using this 9v when I had it connected to my TV at home. Could this be the cause? Unfortunately, I don't have a 5v transformer to try, and all of the electronics stores are gone thanks to Amazon! Before I order a new one, which would arrive after I've left, can anyone confirm that this is sometimes the cause? Are there any other things I can check?

Thanks in advance!
Denis

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku XD: When plugged in, get Roku loading screen, then white screen

Don't order a new one. Buy a new Roku. Not saying that to try to sell new Roku's, I'm saying it because the Roku XD model is going on 9 years old (I believe), and sticking $12 into a new adapter when you could stick $30 into a Roku Express or Stick and get a much faster Roku experience would be kinda silly.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
denishurley
Level 7

Whoa. I didn't realize it's that old, but now that I think about it, that sounds right. You're right: I shouldn't invest more time into it - never mind money!
Thanks for the quick reply!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

One potential issue. You mentioned using the AV inputs. If you mean the composite (analog) inputs, Roku doesn't sell a player with those outputs any longer. The last one available was the Express+, which you may or may not be able to find new. If they have a TV with HDMI inputs, never mind. Just buy a new player.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
One potential issue. You mentioned using the AV inputs. If you mean the composite (analog) inputs, Roku doesn't sell a player with those outputs any longer. The last one available was the Express+, which you may or may not be able to find new. If they have a TV with HDMI inputs, never mind. Just buy a new player.  Smiley Very Happy

The Express+ is in stock at my local Walmart. I expect a search of the Walmart Website by OP might find one in his area.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos