Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeM247
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra with an older HD plasma TV with 1080i resolution

Jump to solution

Correct...AND Pioneer tech support got back to me this morning with basically the same reply; the guy told me as far as he knows, there IS NO streaming device on the market that would work with our 1080i plasma displays. Cat Sad

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Note that all Roku players support 720p, so you might try connecting it to a different display and manually setting the display output. It sounds like for whatever reason the Roku and your TV cannot negotiate the correct setting manually. 

It's also possible to try using the remote to change the display by hitting the correct button in the proper sequence. However, that is assuming the Roku has already completed the initial setup. Again, it could be done on a different display that supports 1080p.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@mikeM247 wrote:

Correct...AND Pioneer tech support got back to me this morning with basically the same reply; the guy told me as far as he knows, there IS NO streaming device on the market that would work with our 1080i plasma displays. Cat Sad

True statement. 1080i support on a Roku player doesn't appear to have ever existed, although some early players had component out that would have likely worked on your set. But those old players are long unsupported and won't work with the majority of the current players. 

The only option is a converter that takes the 1080p to 1080i or to convert it into component. Those do appear to be available on Amazon for under $40. Cheaper than replacing the TV. 😄

Dan

mikeM247
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm just going to return the Roku Ultra to Amazon (already filled out the online paperwork to return it) and leave things the way they have been...I want "simple" and this is just too complicated for my brain to deal with. 

0 Kudos
mikeM247
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!  I got it to WORK!  The Pioneer tech guy emailed me back, skeptical that this device would NOT work on my old plasma..and he was/is/ ultimately right!  I had to ENABLE Input 1 on my Media Receiver.  Never realized that, by DEFAULT it was DISABLED.  I enabled, plugged in the Roku Ultra, and it's working!  i have the screen now!  

bjtalbot1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yay and congrats! Are you getting non-glitchy playback? My playback was beautiful using the non-scaling HDMI-to-component converter, but I got those occasional brief interruptions that spoiled the experience. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new converter I'm getting tomorrow.

mikeM247
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

THANK you for the congrats!  I'm viewing on 720p =only= it's not recognizing 1080i. So far PQ has been very good, as good as can be expected on 720p resolution, and no problems with screen freezes at all.  The only thing i wish there was a solution for was, playing the audio thru my DD 5.1 surround receiver..i don't see any way to make that work, so i'm settling for the TV sound. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@mikeM247 wrote:

THANK you for the congrats!  I'm viewing on 720p =only= it's not recognizing 1080i. So far PQ has been very good, as good as can be expected on 720p resolution, and no problems with screen freezes at all.  The only thing i wish there was a solution for was, playing the audio thru my DD 5.1 surround receiver..i don't see any way to make that work, so i'm settling for the TV sound. 

Most online streaming providers (Prime Video, Netflix, etc) use DD+ as the audio codec. If your audio receiver doesn't support DD+, then all you can get is PCM stereo. Your Roku cannot convert the DD+ to DD.

But good work with the troubleshooting and finding the solution. 😄

Dan

0 Kudos
swolpp
Reel Rookie

Re: Older TV with HDMI 3-port switch, composite connectors and novice user

Jump to solution

This is a follow-up to my previous post concerning a 10-year old Sony flatscreen. I now see there is a device associated with the TV called: FOSMON HDMI 3-port switch. A Chrome Stick is plugged into this device. A cable plugged into the 3 port says: high speed HDMI cable with Ethernet.*  The device has an open port on the side; it appears to be an open HDMI port.

On the TV itself there are red/white jacks denominated “HDMI in,” but they are small round jacks that do not look like an HDMI port.

In addition, this TV has red, white and yellow composite connectors. These connectors collectively are labeled “video in.” Yellow, white and red cables are plugged into these three “video in” jacks. There is a separate set of white, blue and red composite jacks denominated HD/DVD in. These are currently unused.

What is the best device for me to buy to be able to use Roku with this 10-year old Sony flatscreen? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Older TV with HDMI 3-port switch, composite connectors and novice user

Jump to solution

@swolpp wrote:

This is a follow-up to my previous post concerning a 10-year old Sony flatscreen. I now see there is a device associated with the TV called: FOSMON HDMI 3-port switch. A Chrome Stick is plugged into this device. A cable plugged into the 3 port says: high speed HDMI cable with Ethernet.*  The device has an open port on the side; it appears to be an open HDMI port.

On the TV itself there are red/white jacks denominated “HDMI in,” but they are small round jacks that do not look like an HDMI port.

In addition, this TV has red, white and yellow composite connectors. These connectors collectively are labeled “video in.” Yellow, white and red cables are plugged into these three “video in” jacks. There is a separate set of white, blue and red composite jacks denominated HD/DVD in. These are currently unused.

What is the best device for me to buy to be able to use Roku with this 10-year old Sony flatscreen? Thanks. 

Any red/white RCA jacks (round connections) will always be analog audio. Why they're labeled with HDMI in is anyone's guess. The blue/red/green (not white) are video component jacks. Yes, they support an HD signal, but not likely as 1080p. The red/white jacks could be the audio inputs used for a component input. 

As to what existing Roku player will work, we can't say without knowing the model number of the TV. The problem is some early HD TVs with HDMI jacks won't accept a 1080p input. They accept 1080i (which no Roku supports), 525/480p (SD), and some might accept 720p. Current Roku players would only be capable of 720p. But without knowing the TV model number, we can't look up what resolutions are supported via HDMI. But there are boxes that take 1080p HDMI and convert it to component out, so that's one possible solution without replacing the TV.

Dan

0 Kudos