Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjtalbot1
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra with an older HD plasma TV with 1080i resolution

Jump to solution

UPDATE:  This is what worked for my 2007 Pioneer plasma TV (PDP 505CMX) with 1080i resolution and no HDMI inputs: I got an EASYCEL 1080P HDMI to Component Scaler Converter (about $40 on Amazon). I also got a 5-port HDMI Switch and a bunch of HDMI cables so I could add other stuff on HDMI too. Very happy with the results!

0 Kudos
swolpp
Reel Rookie

Re: Older TV with HDMI 3-port switch, composite connectors and novice user

Jump to solution

The Model number of this TV is SONY KDL-40S2000. What Roku device, if any, would work with this TV?  Thank you. Prior information I posted is reprinted below for your convenience: 

There is a device associated with the TV called: FOSMON HDMI 3-port switch. A Chrome Stick is plugged into this device. A cable plugged into the 3 port says: high speed HDMI cable with Ethernet.*  The device has an open port on the side; it appears to be an open HDMI port.

On the TV itself there are red/white jacks denominated “HDMI in,” but they are small round jacks that do not look like an HDMI port.

In addition, this TV has red, white and yellow composite connectors. These connectors collectively are labeled “video in.” Yellow, white and red cables are plugged into these three “video in” jacks. There is a separate set of white, blue and red composite jacks denominated HD/DVD in. These are currently unused.

0 Kudos
swolpp
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Posted in error. Regrets. Model number is SONY KDL-40S2000. What Roku device will work with this TV? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@swolpp wrote:

The Model number of this TV is SONY KDL-40S2000. What Roku device, if any, would work with this TV?  Thank you. Prior information I posted is reprinted below for your convenience: 

There is a device associated with the TV called: FOSMON HDMI 3-port switch. A Chrome Stick is plugged into this device. A cable plugged into the 3 port says: high speed HDMI cable with Ethernet.*  The device has an open port on the side; it appears to be an open HDMI port.

On the TV itself there are red/white jacks denominated “HDMI in,” but they are small round jacks that do not look like an HDMI port.

In addition, this TV has red, white and yellow composite connectors. These connectors collectively are labeled “video in.” Yellow, white and red cables are plugged into these three “video in” jacks. There is a separate set of white, blue and red composite jacks denominated HD/DVD in. These are currently unused.

The Sony 40S2000 accepts the following resolutions: 1080i, 480i, 480p, 720p. Via HDMI, the only one that Roku supports is 720p. However, some TVs don't advertise their capabilities accurately via HDMI (via EDID, which stands for Extended Display Identification Data), and the Roku might believe it supports 1080p. It will send that, and you get a blank screen. In theory, the Roku should recognize 720p as acceptable and send that resolution, but that doesn't always work correctly. Again, it's the fault of the TV, not the Roku. 

I'm looking at the Fosmon web site, and they appear to have a number of HDMI switches, so I can't determine specifically which one you have. In theory I would think a Roku would work correctly through it, but there have been some HDMI switches that have not.

The red/blue/white jacks are referred to as component inputs, and are capable of accepting an analog HD signal. You would use the separate red/white jacks (where the yellow jack also is) for the audio input. 

There hasn't been a Roku player with component outputs since the first generation boxes back in 2010. So you can't use those inputs without a converter. The analog audio/video jacks (white/red/yellow) hasn't been supported by any Roku player since the Express+ 3710 in 2016. Also, those inputs only give you SD output, not HD. Be aware that none of the other major streaming players support either of these connections either. 

So, you have several options. The first would be to just try a new Roku through your Fosmon switch and see if it works. If you want a Roku, you'll have to get one anyway, so try the no-cost option first. Next, you could replace your TV with a modern set that accepts 1080p and has multiple HDMI inputs. You wouldn't need the Fosmon switch. And depending on the size of the TV that might even be about the same cost as adding adapters/converters. A third option is to purchase a converter that either takes your HDMI 1080p and outputs 1080i, or one that converts the HDMI input to component outputs. While such converters might be found on Amazon for $50 or less, it's hit or miss if they'll work for you.

Myself, I'd just replace the TV, but I can understand if that simply isn't an option for you now. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Flyone2

Jump to solution

Hello. How did you enable input 1? I think I'm having the same issue. My old TV is Hitachi Ultravision 42HDS69 Plasma TV

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Flyone2 On most TVs, you don't have to enable an HDMI port. Just plug something into it, and the TV should recognize the new connection. If you have the correct model number, that TV does support 720p HDMI connections, so any Roku player should work fine with it.

Just remember that this particular model TV is now about 14 years old. Plasma displays dim over time, and most likely the image on yours is noticeably darker than when new. It happens very gradually, not some sudden loss of brightness.  Just keep that in mind if you're wondering why the image doesn't have the "pop" that you see on newer TVs. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

We were able to get the Amazon Firestick to work with our Pioneer Plasma TV but haven't had any success with our Roku device. We can get a picture but every picture setting is pink...? We cycled through every setting the tv had for all the display types and everyone was pink. Maybe a different Roku device will work?

0 Kudos