Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fister
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra compatibility with LG tv ?

We've got 2 LG tv's, one upstairs and one downstairs.  The wife wanted access to AppleTV so we bought a Roku Ultra for upstairs.  We are able to watch AppleTV on that tv without any issues.
Wife bought a 2nd Roku Ultra to watch AppleTV on the LG tv downstairs but AppleTV would not stream.  It would start but it would hang up - video wouldn't show.

So... I brought the Roku Ultra from upstairs down to the downstairs tv to see if the other was a dud.  But it wouldn't stream AppleTV to the downstairs TV either.
For this reason I don't think it is an issue between Roku Ultra & AppleTV. 
I am wondering if there is a compatibility issue between the Roku Ultra and this specific LG tv model (60UK6090PUA). 

Is there anything else I should be considering?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra compatibility with LG tv ?

I used to have LG stuff and considered it Top quality at the time.

Perhaps the wifi signal downstairs is compromised. Is it much further from your Router?

Do both Ultra's perform on the upstairs TV?

Do other Channels work OK?

Do you have other things running on your wifi?

Have you tried lowering the resolution on your problem TV?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@fister 

Thanks for the inquiry.

As @boogernose mentioned, the first thing we would need to check is the device connectivity to your network. Are you able to stream other content on the device downstairs that is not Apple TV? If you are unable to stream any content to your device, then we would recommend checking out our Support page here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
musicbrain
Streaming Star

I had a Roku Streaming Stick+ (new) that after a couple of weeks when I turned it on, the picture would go on & then off, on & then off, continuously.  I could only get it to stop doing this by unplugging the electric to the Stick.  I thought it was a glitch and was gone.  However, it started to happen again.

Roku replaced the Stick with another one, which seemed fine for a few days, and the same problem again!

I have an LG Smart TV (not using the Smart part, obviously), and wondered if there was some weird compatibility issue.  I have a second Roku Stick on a 5 year old Samsung.  I'm wondering if I could just switch the sticks to see if the problem starts up again on the Stick that works fine on the Samsung, for a test.

You I have to redo any settings?  Does each Stick recognize it is suddenly in a different TV?

Otherwise, they'll probably just send me yet another Stick.  Unless your QC and the quality of the manufacture or the design a problem!

0 Kudos
bcummings

@fisterI have the exact same issue with the same LG TV model.  I can use my Roku Ultra on other TV's in the house, but not on my LG TV.  As mentioned in other responses, I've checked the Wi-Fi signal and that is not the issue.  There is a basic compatibility issue between this model LG TV and Roku.  I prefer to use the Roku rather than the smart capability of the TV because it is so much faster, but I may have to either give in and use the smart TV or get a new TV.  The issue that I'm having is hard to explain.  I can watch a show with no problem, but on some shows it will act like the show is about to start playing, but the screen goes black and stays black.  I will start hearing random bits of audio from the show and if I let it play long enough I'll see flashes of video.  To get it to work, I have to unplug the Roku and the TV from the outlets.  Let them sit for a bit, then plug them back in.  Then, maybe, the show I want to watch will play.  If I use the smart capability of the TV I can watch the show with no trouble.  I think it has something to do with the 60UK6090PUA model TV and Roku combo.  

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Given that the last activity in this thread is over two years ago, I’m wondering if you have checked for firmware updates for your TV?  Possibly your TV isn’t auto-updating and something has been improved since then.  Many TVs don’t automatically update themselves.

0 Kudos
bcummings

@Strega - yes I have checked for a firmware update on my TV.  Everything is up to date.  I knew this was an old thread, but I'm getting frustrated and it is the only post that I've found so far that came close to describing the problem that I am having.  

0 Kudos
bcummings

One more piece to the puzzle that this has become.  I have a Roku Express that I use on a small Samsung TV upstairs.  I brought it down and plugged it into our main LG TV.  I can report that I don't have any issue with the Roku Express.  Everything works without an issue.  Only when I connect the Roku Ultra does the problem present itself.  Any insight would sure be welcome.  

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@bcummings, does the Ultra work on the Samsung TV?

One thing to check, some Roku models had a "power saving" feature added to the Settings->System->Power menu.  It seems to wreak havoc with some TVs.  Try disabling it if you have it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos