Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlF
Level 7

Roku Ultra as input to Roku TV?

I recently bought a TCL 55P605 Roku TV and really like it. We're just about ready to cut the cable. There's a problem, though. With our previous setup we mirrored the main TV in the living room to another upstairs in the loft by connecting it to the RF out on the cable box. Now with the TV as the source there's no video out of any kind to supply the upstairs TV. What are my options?

The only thing I can think of is to get another Roku (probably an Ultra for the Ethernet port), put an HDMI splitter on the output, and run 1 half upstairs. But what happens with the other half? Will I have a Roku-within-Roku, can the Roku detect and eliminate the nested condition, or do I need to either turn the TCL into a simple monitor (if possible) or replace it with one?

We have an HD antenna and I was psyched to see how cleanly the Roku TV integrated the antenna. Now it looks like it may have been a mistake.

Possibly helpful info: There's also a Yamaha receiver in the system that supports ARC and CEC. Right now it's getting audio and control signals from the TV. I checked to see if any signal was appearing at other receiver outputs (I didn't expect there would be) but there wasn't.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra as input to Roku TV?

When I bought my Sharp Roku TV, I had my Ultra connected to it with no issues. However, I soon realized that the Sharp was every bit as powerful as the Ultra, so I just ended up using the Roku functionality of the Sharp, rather than switching to the Roku. But I had no issues using the Ultra connected to it, and in fact you can label the HDMI input as a Roku. So they must have planned for it as an option.
My Ultra is connected to a Yamaha AVR and has no problems with CEC. And the TV uses ARC, although my Samsung sometimes has issues with the ARC connection.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
CarlF
Level 7

As a test, I put a Roku streaming stick in the Roku TV's HDMI port and identified it as a Roku. Selecting it worked fine but, as expected, took me to a separate Roku main menu for the stick which didn't list the antenna or other connected HDMI inputs.

To eliminate confusion about which Roku menu to select from to get mirrored to the upstairs TV, I was able to disable the Roku menu on the TV, leaving it with just the input list. The TCL site provides simple instructions for doing this.

https://support.tclusa.com/20272-roku/1 ... regular-tv
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Yep, the Stick would have no idea it's connected to a Roku TV, so you won't see the antenna input. All you see is the same Stick menu you would have connected to any other display. Glad you figured it out to make it work for you.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos