Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Streaming stick won't recognize email

I'm pretty experienced with Roku. When two boxes were declared obsolete we upgrade with a Premiere but then added two streaming sticks in December. Big mistake - the first we activated right away and it's been relatively stable. The second we waited to activate today (April). It won't recognize the established email address.

It shows it is sending a code to activate the box, then immediately switches to my email address isn't working. And yet I'm typing this note having logged into Roku online using that email address and Roku sent me an immediate email confirming I replied to something on another thread.

So what's up?

We have done:

1. factory reset

2. rebooted the stick

3. tried to activate it on the television that is used for the stick that does work.

4. made sure it was showing green for network access.

5. tried various methods to plug it in (i.e. plugged AWS into stick, then into power, plugged AWS into power, then into stick, etc.)

Nothing works. I think the stick is defective and it's still under warranty (never used, never activated).

Is there anything else I should try? I'm kind of loathe to keep throwing money at Roku, but this is the first bad product I've had. But we're under "stay at home" orders except for essential business (city and statewide edict) and we bought these to replace boxes that Roku stopped supporting.

Help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku Streaming stick won't recognize email

Have you tried rebooting the Router?

Have you tried swapping it with one of the working

Roku's with a known working wifi connection?

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi. Yes.

1. I rebooted the router. All other devices connected to the wifi show a strong connection.

2. I then did a factory reset on the streaming stick - same results.

3. I then switched it to a television where we had installed an identical streaming stick bought the same day.
The non working stick still gives an error. In network settings it recognizes the wifi signal and gives two green checkmarks, but after we input the email address it says the email is nonworking.

(Ironically, that same "nonworking" email is being used to send me Roku information and to send me notifications about responses on this community board so clearly it is a working email) lol!

In contrast, the other "working" streaming stick, when switched to a different television continues to work. We have another Roku box in the house and that works well too.

I think my only conclusion is that the second stick is defective. I'll have to ask for an RMA to swap it for new equipment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Yeah it might be a funky one. You dont have the receipt?

I dunno why you'd need an RMA.

Roku's pretty good about exchanges talk to one of the admins tomorrow.

@RokuTannerD  or @RokuDanny-R 

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@CTBatHome 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing—that's not what we aim for.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi Danny.

Thanks. I'll do that right now. Appreciate the response given the situation.

0 Kudos