Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marlifarm
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick portable work with laptop?

A couple days ago I perused the Roku pages and discovered there was a way to make taking Roku portable (it advertised a dorm room, etc.).  So I went ahead and ordered the Roku Streaming Stick for my HP Laptop.  I've connected the stick to the port on the side of my laptop, plugged it in for power, but I cannot figure out how to bring it up and then watch it!?!

Can anyone offer advice or describe what I need to do to get this working?  Many thanks!  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Elbowroomman
Level 7

I have a roku account and many roku devises and tvs, can I watch Roku on my lap top

I have a roku account and many roku devises and tvs, can I watch Roku on my lap top

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku Streaming Stick

@Marlifarm wrote:

A couple days ago I perused the Roku pages and discovered there was a way to make taking Roku portable (it advertised a dorm room, etc.).  So I went ahead and ordered the Roku Streaming Stick for my HP Laptop.  I've connected the stick to the port on the side of my laptop, plugged it in for power, but I cannot figure out how to bring it up and then watch it!?!

Can anyone offer advice or describe what I need to do to get this working?  Many thanks!  

Your laptop is not a display for external devices. You have to connect the Stick to some sort of TV or other display with HDMI inputs and speakers. The HDMI port on your laptop is an OUTPUT jack, and you risk damage to it and the Roku inserting it there. 

There are rare computers with video in jacks, but I've never seen a laptop with one. Any such computer would be designed for video production work and would not be inexpensive. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: I have a roku account and many roku devises and tvs, can I watch Roku on my lap top

Can you connect a Roku to your laptop and view it on the laptop screen? No, unless you have a very rare laptop that has a HDMI video input. Almost all computers now have HDMI output jacks, but they don't work as an input for other devices. 

What you can access on your laptop is The Roku Channel. That is available as a web site, and you just use a browser same as any other web page. However, TRC only provides the content that you can get within TRC on a device. That doesn't give you access to any of the other channels you have added to your Roku user account. You can only see them using a Roku device (player or TV). 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos