Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LieseU
Level 8

Roku Stream Stick + power cable - extra extension?

I just got the Stream Stick 3810R, I used the HDMI connection, plus the included USB extension cable, but to reach the electrical outlet it is still about 5 inches too short. (The TV sits pretty high on the wall)  Can I add an additional USB extension to the extension that I am already using?  Sort of like a USB extension daisy chain? Or is there a better way?  I do not have a USB port on this Sanyo TV from 2008.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
watcher200
Level 8

Re: Roku Stream Stick + power cable - extra extension?

Absolutely. A better solution would be to get a USB cable which reaches the full distance and then you won't have a connector in-between, just my preference. Be sure to get a USB extension rated for carrying power. Some have really wimpy conductors and are for signal carrying only.

One thing you can't do, however is remove the WiFi receiver which connects with a short length of USB cable directly to the streaming stick. This is needed by the stick to pick up WiFi signals. That has to stay in the USB power path next to the stick.

CedarSam
Level 8

@watcher200 wrote:

One thing you can't do, however is remove the WiFi receiver which connects with a short length of USB cable directly to the streaming stick. This is needed by the stick to pick up WiFi signals. That has to stay in the USB power path next to the stick.

Ah ha! This just answered my question. I tried putting a mini USB extension between the stick and the wifi receiver, so I could move the receiver higher for better signal, and now the Roku is not working. I guess I will have to try an HDMI extension cable instead.

0 Kudos
watcher200
Level 8

Correct. You can place a USB extension on the power supply side of the WiFi receiver, but not on the ROKU side where it plugs into the stick, and there isn't a limit as to how long that extension is as long as it delivers 5V to the WiFi receiver (and the stick). I have a small USB extension line switch in mine so I can turn off my ROKU when I'm not going to use it for a time.

Tags (1)
CedarSam
Level 8

@watcher200 wrote:

Correct. You can place a USB extension on the power supply side of the WiFi receiver, but not on the ROKU side where it plugs into the stick, and there isn't a limit as to how long that extension is as long as it delivers 5V to the WiFi receiver (and the stick). I have a small USB extension line switch in mine so I can turn off my ROKU when I'm not going to use it for a time.

Thanks. I think what I actually need is an HDMI extension so I can move the stick and receiver on top of the TV and get better wifi signal. The HDMI port is on the side away from the router, so the TV (and mounting frame) are interfering with the signal, judging by the numbers on my wifi meter.

0 Kudos
watcher200
Level 8

That works too, but if you're having HDMI issues, a stronger WiFi signal won't help.

Be sure to get a quality (but not heavy as battery jumper) HDMI cable. Monoprice is a good source of different low cost HDMI cable options and there are others.

LieseU
Level 8

Hi Watcher200,

Thank you for the excellent advice. So I have ordered an additional Roku usb extender cable PW10 for the Streaming Stick plus because I wasn't confident I was choosing the correct USB cable on Amazon, none of their offerings that I found seemed to adequately specify the exact type and specifications of the cables. Though, I would have preferred to have one long line but at least I'll know that it'll work! Thank you.

0 Kudos
watcher200
Level 8

You're very much welcome. Hope all works out for youSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
CedarSam
Level 8

@watcher200 wrote:

That works too, but if you're having HDMI issues, a stronger WiFi signal won't help.

Be sure to get a quality (but not heavy as battery jumper) HDMI cable. Monoprice is a good source of different low cost HDMI cable options and there are others.

Thanks. I think the problem is just wifi because I set up an old router temporarily as a repeater and it solved the issue I was having with signal strength. If I move the Roku receiver up higher it should get a strong enough signal from my main router. If I'm lucky I'll get 5GHz! Cheers.

0 Kudos