Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku SE (Express) won't complete setup

Purchased a Roku SE (Express) from large national retailer on Black Friday deal.  Connected to HDMI port and USB port on TV.  Setup process started.  Logged into wifi network.  Got green check for both network and internet access.  Software updated.  Then, nothing.  All I get is the animated Roku logo.  I've tried all 4 HDMI ports on my TV, unplugged everthing, plugged it all back in, pushed the reset button, changed batteries in the remote.  Nothing but the logo.  Blinking white light on front.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 20

Re: Roku SE (Express) won't complete setup

@FrustratedLynn wrote:

Purchased a Roku SE (Express) from large national retailer on Black Friday deal.  Connected to HDMI port and USB port on TV.  Setup process started.  Logged into WiFi network.  Got green check for both network and internet access.  Software updated.  Then, nothing.  All I get is the animated Roku logo.  I've tried all 4 HDMI ports on my TV, unplugged everything, plugged it all back in, pushed the reset button, changed batteries in the remote.  Nothing but the logo.  Blinking white light on front.  

OK, let's try a complete reset. Just pressing the reset button isn't enough. You have to hold it a minimum of 30 seconds. Ignore anything happening on the screen, and don't release the reset button until more than 30 seconds has passed. Then if the setup screen appears again follow the steps. If it still fails, then you should return it for a replacement, as it is apparently defective. It happens, unfortunately. I had a bad Roku TV I bought from Best Buy, but the replacement has worked well for years. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem setting up my Roku Express+.  It goes all the way through the software update and then I get a blank screen, "no signal".  I tried doing the factory reset and still can't set it up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@salpac57 Thanks for the note here. Have you tried using a different HDMI cable with your device, or connecting it to another HDMI port on your TV to see if this helps? What is the specific brand and model of TV that you are connecting the device to? 

We'd also recommend trying to connect the device to another TV to see if the same behavior occurs. 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos