Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greetje
Reel Rookie

Roku Remote bad. Can I use Spectrum remote with Roku Streaming Stick 4 K

Jump to solution

I am elderly and have Roku Streaming Stick 4 K  Not interested in all the other streaming channels etc.  I just want to watch my Spectrum channels without paying for cable box. The Roku remote is bad. No numbers to be able to switch to other channels. No backlit so at night can't see anything. No pause. And no going back to switch to last station watched. To go to another channel I have to go to Spectrum, then Spectrum Guide,  then  scroll to desired channel to watch.  When I want another channel I have to again go back to Spectrum Guide and repeat. To much of a hassle.  I want my Spectrum remote to work easily on Roku.  Is that possible.  Or return Roku and go back to Spectrum box.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Remote bad. Can I use Spectrum remote with Roku Streaming Stick 4 K

Jump to solution

@Strega  He wants the remote to function like a cable box remote. He wants all the buttons and functionality he did with a cable box. That won’t happen period 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

A Roku is a Roku. It’s streaming. It won’t replace your cable box. You cannot use your Spectrum remote to control your Roku. 

0 Kudos
greetje
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I unplugged my cable box and am watching Spectrum on Roku now by going to Spectrum on  Roku. Want easier way to change channels and thought using the Spectrum remote would be the answer. That will not work?

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Non-stick Rokus have IR receivers so they can be driven by common IR remotes.  Sticks expect to be mounted behind TVs where IR wouldn't get so they don't have IR receivers.

Even with a non-stick Roku, you may not get any functionality beyond what a Roku remote provides anyway.  ie: it's one thing for some IR remote to blast out digits like "1" "4" "2" toward the roku, but then the question becomes: is whatever application you're running on the Roku aware of digits and have any idea what to do with them?  My guess would be: probably not.

greetje
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Strega    You wrote

Non-stick Rokus have IR receivers so they can be driven by common IR remotes. Sticks expect to be mounted behind TVs where IR wouldn't get so they don't have IR receivers.

Does that mean if I get a non stick Roku it would work with my Spectrum remote or Universal remote?

If so what model Roku non stick should I get?

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@greetje  All Roku remotes are the same. There are no channel buttons. It’s just a matter of time till you get use to it. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you get a Roku with an IR receiver (Express 4K+, Ultra, etc. ie: box-style not stick-style) then a universal remote with Roku codes, should be able to drive it.  However, remember what I said about the digits.  They're still unlikely to do anything unless the app has been coded for the possibility of being driven by a remote with buttons that a Roku remote doesn't have.  You will most likely end up with a different remote that can do exactly the same things.

BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Strega  He wants the remote to function like a cable box remote. He wants all the buttons and functionality he did with a cable box. That won’t happen period 

0 Kudos