Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anthony009
Level 7

Roku Refused to finish setting up

My roku failed to finish setting up entirely. I purchased a roku express from the website and it arrived yesterday.  It got through most of the setup process but after it updated it just went into a constant restart loop. Roku is sending me a replacement- still would like to get this one to work though.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Refused to finish setting up

Some people with this problem have reported success by using a wifi hot spot on their mobile phone as the internet connection. If/when it completes the update successfully then they could switch it back to using their home wifi network.

If you don't have a phone hot spot available you could take it to a friend or neighbor's and try using their wifi for the update.

Note: this has not been universally successful, but many people have reported it worked for them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
anthony009
Level 7

@makaiguy wrote:

Some people with this problem have reported success by using a wifi hot spot on their mobile phone as the internet connection. If/when it completes the update successfully then they could switch it back to using their home wifi network.

If you don't have a phone hot spot available you could take it to a friend or neighbor's and try using their wifi for the update.

Note: this has not been universally successful, but many people have reported it worked for them.

I wish I could try that with a different wifi network but unfortunately it will not take me back to the original setup screen

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@anthony009 wrote:

I wish I could try that with a different wifi network but unfortunately it will not take me back to the original setup screen

Do a hard factory reset. There's a reset button on the device. With power connected, press and continuously hold it down for at least 30 seconds. I say again, at least 30 seconds. Count them. It's important. 30 seconds. (Sorry, but some will hold until "I saw the screen change so I figured it was okay" or "It seemed about 30 seconds so it's okay." Don't do that. 30 seconds.)

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos