Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccc0420
Level 7

Roku Premiere Won't Power On w/o USB chord plugged in

I am trying to utilize my Roku Premiere Streaming device with a BenQ 720 P Projector.  I have plugged the Roku device into the projector's HDMI slot.  There is no USB port to plug the Roku USB cable into.  

The projector works just fine, but the Roku device isn't responsive. 

If I do not have the ability to plug in the USB cable, will the Roku Premiere Streaming device still work with the BenQ 720 P?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere Won't Power On w/o USB chord plugged in

The USB of the Premiere is for Power only.  Although you can technically power it from another device's USB power port, it is recommended for the streaming players to be plugged directly into the wall for best power source.  Your premiere should have come with a power adapter. (that your USB power cable plugs into).  If you do not have this power adapter you can use another 1 amp power adapter (ie. cell phone charger.)

The Roku Premiere (as well as other Roku devices) need power to operate. (the USB power cable).  The HDMI cable will only transfer audio/video so the Premiere will not work without power.  Once you supply power to the Roku Premiere through the power adapter, it will work with your projector.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos