Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Premier for Travel Use

Jump to solution

i just bought Roku Premier at BestBuy while on my vacation. The main purpose of this new Roku is to bring it with me wherever I go. I successfully setup the Roku from the timeshare/hotel of my first destination. I’m able to use the Roku and linked to my Roku account without any problem. I moved to the second destination (timeshare/hotel) using the same WIFI and last name but different room # to connect to the WiFi. I’m having trouble setting up my Roku on the second hotel. It recognized the the same WIFI but I cannot pass the language setting. I did the factory default reset, it did not help. What else I can do to make my Roku works?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Premier for Travel Use

Jump to solution

I’m able to complete the setup using my phone’s hotspot that you’ve suggested and Roku is functioning as expected. Thank you for your assistance.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@Ros529 wrote:

i just bought Roku Premier at BestBuy while on my vacation. The main purpose of this new Roku is to bring it with me wherever I go. I successfully setup the Roku from the timeshare/hotel of my first destination. I’m able to use the Roku and linked to my Roku account without any problem. I moved to the second destination (timeshare/hotel) using the same WIFI and last name but different room # to connect to the WiFi. I’m having trouble setting up my Roku on the second hotel. It recognized the the same WIFI but I cannot pass the language setting. I did the factory default reset, it did not help. What else I can do to make my Roku works?

Sometimes devices (not just Roku) get stuck when connecting to the same WiFi SSID but different authentication. It tries to use what worked last time. There's a setting under System that will reset all network settings, so it deletes all stored settings and require entering passwords again. But your factory reset would have cleared those as well.

I travel with a Roku all the time. In the past I used a Stick, but recently swapped it for my Premiere. Better performing player, but I lost the WiFi Direct remote functionality. 

Since you mentioned the language setting, I'm assuming you're trying to do the basic setup again. Are you getting the prompt about are you in a hotel or dorm? That is what's needed to complete your network connection when you need to authenticate to a web page (as most hotels do). If you aren't getting that, do you have a smartphone that can offer a hotspot for Internet access? Something to get you connected without going through the hotel system. Then once you're set up, you can attempt again to connect it to the hotel. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m able to complete the setup using my phone’s hotspot that you’ve suggested and Roku is functioning as expected. Thank you for your assistance.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos