Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Media Player 3 + Apple Thunderbolt Display

Jump to solution

Hi:

My 88 year old mom has serious dementia and has moved to a home which, with the lock down, I can't visit.

She has a ROKU subscription and a Media Player 3 I would like to install there so she can watch some of her favorite shows. So, I'm trying to write instructions on how to do it for the staff there. The problem: I don't have a TV. I'm trying to connect it to an old Apple Thunderbolt Display via a 60Hz mini displayport/hdmi adapter via the Thunderbolt port on the display. Nothing appears on screen.

I know the Thunderbolt port works because I can mirror my laptop screen using it. But, nothing appears when turn on and plug in the Roku. Is this because I need a 30Hz adapter? Or is the whole thing a bad idea and I should just get her a newer model Roku?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Media Player 3 + Apple Thunderbolt Display

Jump to solution

@noob_for_life 

Thanks for the information.

In order to use a Roku, you will need a HDMI input or if an HDMI input is unavailable, certain Roku models will have the composite audio/video connections.

For more information regarding what is needed to set up a Roku device, visit our Support page here: What is a Roku® streaming player?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@noob_for_life 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Can you please clarify the inquiry? What Roku model device does she have? With that information we can make the appropriate recommendation moving forward.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Sorry, Danny. I thought I had the right name in the post's title. What I see on the box is "Roku 3". I believe it's a Roku 3 Streaming Media Player. It looks like this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming-Media-Player-Search/dp/B00UJ3IULO

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@noob_for_life 

Thanks for the update.

For further clarification, are you trying to connect the Roku 3 device to a TV or to a computer screen? Please be aware that Roku devices are meant to be connected to TVs through the HDMI cable.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

That's the challenge. I don't have a TV. I have two computer monitors, neither of which has an HDMI port. One takes Displayport and VGA inputs. The other, Mini Displayport. I have a Mini Displayport/HDMI adapter which was designed for 60Hz/4K (which the monitor is not). I think it should work with regular HDMI. But, like I said, I don't have a good way to test.

When I plug the Roku into the monitor with the adapter, I get nothing on screen.

So I guess my question is: Should I get an adapter for 30Hz/1080p or a more modern Roku which might work with a computer monitor and a TV? Or should I just give up on the idea of using the monitor and find a way to test on a TV (probably after lockdown).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@noob_for_life 

Thanks for the information.

In order to use a Roku, you will need a HDMI input or if an HDMI input is unavailable, certain Roku models will have the composite audio/video connections.

For more information regarding what is needed to set up a Roku device, visit our Support page here: What is a Roku® streaming player?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Why wouldn't a straight through DP to HDMI cable not work?  There is no adapter for Roku to detect?  Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Just for your information the Apple Thunderbolt Display is not the same as the Apple Cinema Display that use mini display port.

In both case the connector look the same, but one have a lighning logo on it. the thunderbolt display will only work with thunderbolt device or computer. 

The adapter you use only work with the normal DisplayPort and not with the thunderbolt 2 DisplayPort

I'm in the same boat and I didn't find any solution to make the display work on non thunderbolt device. 

here is more info from apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443#thunderbolt

0 Kudos