Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chuck556
Level 7

Roku Express+

I just got a Roku Express+  which doesn't come with an off switch.  Would it harm the unit if left plug in to an electrical outlet all the time?  I have noticed it does get warm when used an extended period of time.  The electrical outlet is in a hard location to access to unplug the electric cord from the wall; would it be harmful if it's just unconnected from the back of the unit?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ghb51
Level 8

Re: Roku Express+

It won't harm it, i keep my Express plugged in all the time.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

There's no harm in leaving it plugged in all the time.. that's the reason most Rokus don't have a power button.. very low power consumption when idle.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

mine feels hot also.  I sometimes unplug it from the back cause I have satellite internet and the Roku want  to talk when I am done.
It does not hurt to be in or out.  with mine in, seems it keeps connecting to my expensive internet.  with it off, it cools down.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

Easy, Peasy just like I told others here.  My own solution for all Roku models (I own 2 models).  Insurance & peace of mind that the little gizmos don't eat up more data/bandwidth than I want them to.  See:
How To Easily Turn Any Roku On Or Off Without Pulling It Out Of It’s Port All The Time
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=152944&p=645035&hilit=Plug+In+On%2FOff+Switch#p645035
0 Kudos