Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku Express stuck at wireless/internet connection

I bought a Roku Express for my Hisense Roku tv. I’m trying to set it up but my tv stops the set up once it checks for wireless/internet connection. Both of the connections have a green check mark next to it. Nothing happens after this. I tried to put it in all the HDM outlets, rebooted my tv and nothing works. The setup stops at the internet part everytime and I don’t know how to fix this. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 21

Re: Roku Express

Not certain why you'd bother with an Express if the TV was already using the Roku OS.

Anyway, some users have been successful completing the initial setup by connecting the Roku to an alternate Internet source, such as a phone hotspot. Once the setup is complete, they can then successfully connect to their home network. Nope, doesn't make any sense. But it's worked for quite a few users. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thankyou for responding. It says it’s a Roku tv but I almost don’t have anything on the tv to download in the store (Disney+, Hulu etc..) that’s why I got the Roku Express so I could get these things. Is there any other option for me to get these things on my tv without a Roku Express(+)?

I tried connecting to my mobile hotspot but it still stopped on the screen where it’s looking for connections. Nothing else happened

0 Kudos
Level 21

@mvennema wrote:

Thank you for responding. It says it’s a Roku tv but I almost don’t have anything on the tv to download in the store (Disney+, Hulu etc..) that’s why I got the Roku Express so I could get these things. Is there any other option for me to get these things on my tv without a Roku Express(+)?

I tried connecting to my mobile hotspot but it still stopped on the screen where it’s looking for connections. Nothing else happened

Strange. I suppose your TV might be old enough that D+ isn't available, but I would not have expected Hulu to be an issue. 

For the Express, I suggest finding the hidden reset button (probably inside a recessed hole), and hold it for a minimum of 30 seconds. Not one second less. Then let it boot again and start the setup from scratch. Sometimes a factory reset clears up whatever the problem is. But sometimes it's simply a hardware issue, and it needs to be swapped with a new one. I did have one Insignia Roku TV that did that to me, and the one I swapped it for has been working fine for more than 3 years. Sometimes it's simply a bad piece of hardware. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos