Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lukie
Streaming Star

Roku Express set up - connecting roku to power kills the tv

Replacing a Roku Express stick that is about 3 yrs old with a new Roku Express.   Old Stick started killing the tv.  Setting up the new Roku express stick - it did the system update, asked my language.  I couldn't navigate to the apparent link to my existing account so simply entered my Roku email to get it going.  It self-detected tv speed and soon tv went dead.  Unplug power to the Roku and tv comes back on, plug Roku back into power and tv goes dead.  Tried the old Roku stick and it still did the same thing.  Tried switching the new Roku input (swapped cable HDMI with Roku HDMI) and same result.  Power up Roku and tv goes dead; unplug power to Roku and tv comes back on.  All done with Roku plugged into wall outlet (not into TV usb port).  For the sake of it, tried plugging roku power into tv usb and same results.

At a loss

0 Kudos
46 REPLIES 46
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express set up - connecting roku to power kills the tv

Your post is rather confusing. The Roku Express is a box. Not a Stick. So do you have a box or a Stick. What is the model number? Also there is no such thing as tv speed. You mean your resolution? Screen size?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Do you have any other HDMI device like a cable box or Blu-ray player you can use to test the TV?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

Sorry for confusion, it's not a stick but the Roku Express which is a small 'oval' shape and attaches to side or top of tv.  Speed referred to 720 vs 1080p.  Again my language not yours.  Model #3930X.  Samsung flat screen tv 32" measured diagonally.

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

A cable box is connected to a separate HDMI - cable works fine.

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Ok so you have a Roku Express 3930 which is the base model. Your tv is 32” which means it could be 720 or 1080. Depends upon what it supports. That’s the resolution. When you setup your Roku what does it detect for screen size/resolution? If it’s 1080 then after be sure you select to keep that resolution. Have you tried 720 and 1080? What size is your cable box set to? 720 or 1080? Those are resolutions not speed. Have you tried plugging the Roku into the same HDMI port as your cable? Maybe the HDMI port went bad 

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

I believe it detected 720 but I'm pretty sure I tried both 720 and 1080 before the 'tv going dead' pretty much killed making any changes.  My cable box settings currently says output resolution is 480i.  As noted in original post, I switched the input cables (cable and roku) so that roku provided input through the prior cable connection) and got the same result - that is power to roku killed tv and unplugging power to roku brought the tv back to life.  It seems impossible to currently make any changes to the roku setup since the tv immediately goes dead when roku is powered up.

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Ok so I take it this is a very old TV. Especially if your cable box is set to 480. Roku devices do not work at such low resolutions as far as I know. Your Express supports 720 and 1080. What is the make and model of your TV?

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

Samsung 32" tv was purchased 11/06/2013.  It is model UN32EH5000FXZA.  Resolution in documentation that came with it indicates 1920 x 1080.   As you may recall from original post, this roku express (not a stick) is replacing a roku espress (also not a stick) and that the previous roku express had been in use here on this tv for about 3 years with no problems before it started killing tv power

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Ok so then why is your cable box set to 480? Your cable box should be set to 1080 since your tv can do 1080. Your Roku isn’t killing your tv power. Your Roku is not detecting your TV resolution properly. If both old and new Roku Express devices are doing the same thing it seems to me like the issue is with your tv. Set your cable box resolution to 1080 and see what happens 

0 Kudos