Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express in endless boot loop

This is getting ridiculous. I've been jumping through hoops this week because my reliable Roku Express suddenly stopped connecting to the Internet. After nothing worked, I've been told it's still under warranty and can be replaced.

Since I had another brand new Express (that I was going to give as a gift) sitting around, I broke that out of the box and plugged it in. It connected to the Internet and said that first it had to download an update. It did that, and since then, it's just been in an endless loop of rebooting. Roku animation and sound, then a blank purplish screen, and eventually another reboot.

I've tried unplugging it. I've held down the reset button on the back (for almost a full minute), and the best I get is a new start: choose language, connect to wifi, download update -- endless loop.

This is a brand new, never used Roku, straight out of the box. I've been using Roku for years, and have two Roku TVs, but Amazon is starting to look good to me.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Express in endless boot loop

same exact problem here, brand new Roku Express.   Wireless is fine, it goes out to do a software update, and at the end of that (not sure if it was successful) it starts the ROKU-wigglyworm dance and goes to a black screen followed by a blue screen, then it goes back to the ROKU-wigglyworm dance.   ROKU Support is non existent. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I tried unplugging and rebooting a few times, then left it alone again for a couple of hours and when I came back, it asked me to link to my Roku account and it has worked since.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Thanks, I am ignoring  it now, keeps cycling.  hopefully I'll check in on it and I will see a link code.   ROKU should be embarrassed that it's customers are forced to guess at solutions and hope they work.   I guess we get what we pay for.   The challenge for ROKU will be to come up with a product that is not so problematic.   Not sure they are up for the task.   I have two other ROKU devices and I need to wrestle with them once or twice a year.   Oh well.   thanks again.

0 Kudos