Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gatsby2
Reel Rookie

Roku Express+ With Composite Cables

Jump to solution

What happened to the old Roku Express+ with composite cables for connecting to a TV that doesn’t have an HDMI port?  Will it still work with updated Roku versions?  If so, is it still available?  Or do I need now to get an HDMI to DVI with audio converter?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express+ With Composite Cables

Jump to solution

Yes, HDMI to component converters exist. Enter that at a major online shop such as Amazon, and many will show up.

Hopefully there is some room behind the TV as 5 connectors coming out the back plus the converter and any excess wires will take up some space.  Converters always seem to be a bit hit-or-miss for people and sometimes limitations like whether all devices in the chain support the desired format can trip people up. So, buy from someplace with a good return policy and test it as soon as you get it.

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Gatsby2 

As @Strega stated, these HDMI to Component Converters exist also. Here is Amazon link)

---

In general, the composite connections (yellow, white, red) will still work on a component setup, but if you do not have one lying around and actually want the full quality of the component connections (Y, Pb, Pr, and red, white, audio) then would purchase the correct component converter. (better video/color quality with the proper converter).

----

Just like you have to look carefully at these converters, also look carefully at the Roku devices when deciding which one works for you.  The Roku Express 4k (3940) - $35 and the Roku Express 4k+(3941) - $40 are the same device but the Express 4k+ (3941) will come with a better remote that allows for TV controls and voice search. (enhanced remote).  The Express 4k (3940) comes with a simple remote (no TV controls, and no voice search feature. (Simple Remote)

As with all electronics, need to look at the details to make sure you are getting what you expect.

Roku Express 4k

Roku Express 4k+

---

Feel free to post back if you have any more questions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Gatsby2 

The Roku Express+ (3910 w/composite cables included) has been discontinued by Roku.

It will still work and is receiving Roku OS updates, however there is possibility with all the older devices that the channel/app developers no longer support the devices so some channels/app may not be available or work properly.

They are still sold on ebay and amazon, but for the amount of people are asking, it is hardly worth it for an older device. (Amazon 159.00 here).

---

Would just suggest purchasing a newer Roku device like the Roku Express 4k+ and then purchasing an HDMI to RCA converter (again, Amazon link here).  You will just need to verify that you purchase a "converter", not merely an "adapter", and that the signal direction is HDMI to [preferred output].

If your TV only has the DVI connector (or you prefer the DVI video signal), then you can purchase an HDMI to DVI converter like this one here.   Most DVI and VGA converters are going to require a 3.5mm audio cable connection.

The Roku products page shows all the current models available (most are available at Walmart, Target, Best Buy) so can also look there as well.  (https://www.roku.com/products/players).  All newer Roku devices are HDMI output so either requires a TV with HDMI input or use of a converter for older TVs.

---

Although Roku has now released a new Roku Express model with dual band capability, still think it is a better idea to spend the extra $10 and get the Express 4k+ (better device, better remote, better features). 

Gatsby2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you thank you for your reply!  You have clarified a lot of issues.  I am new to A/V technology.

it turns out my TV has component inputs, not composite.  Y, Pb, Pr, for video, and L/R audio.  Please forget erroneous reference to DVI.  

I agree that I should get the Roku 4K with a converter.  But will the HDMI to RCA converter you mentioned work with component inputs?  Does an HDMI to component converter exist?

why am I working so hard to save this old TV?  Because it’s a 15 inch TV which just fits in a spot in my wife’s kitchen, and I can’t find a smart TV that small.  And she has it on a lot listening to news.

Many thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, HDMI to component converters exist. Enter that at a major online shop such as Amazon, and many will show up.

Hopefully there is some room behind the TV as 5 connectors coming out the back plus the converter and any excess wires will take up some space.  Converters always seem to be a bit hit-or-miss for people and sometimes limitations like whether all devices in the chain support the desired format can trip people up. So, buy from someplace with a good return policy and test it as soon as you get it.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Gatsby2 

As @Strega stated, these HDMI to Component Converters exist also. Here is Amazon link)

---

In general, the composite connections (yellow, white, red) will still work on a component setup, but if you do not have one lying around and actually want the full quality of the component connections (Y, Pb, Pr, and red, white, audio) then would purchase the correct component converter. (better video/color quality with the proper converter).

----

Just like you have to look carefully at these converters, also look carefully at the Roku devices when deciding which one works for you.  The Roku Express 4k (3940) - $35 and the Roku Express 4k+(3941) - $40 are the same device but the Express 4k+ (3941) will come with a better remote that allows for TV controls and voice search. (enhanced remote).  The Express 4k (3940) comes with a simple remote (no TV controls, and no voice search feature. (Simple Remote)

As with all electronics, need to look at the details to make sure you are getting what you expect.

Roku Express 4k

Roku Express 4k+

---

Feel free to post back if you have any more questions.

Jump to solution

Using an HDMI to composite adapter for older TVs DOES NOT WORK correctly. There is no way to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 in the Roku settings so everything will be stretched vertically.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku really should offer composite hookups on all current Roku models (except the streaming stick obviously) because composite is still very useful for people that are attached to their older TVs for whatever reason. A lot of people still use older TVs for backups or secondary rooms and being able to hookup to a Roku with composite would be very useful and convenient.

Having to buy an HDMI to composite converter is ridiculous when there is plenty of space on the Roku players for the 3.5mm composite output jack to be included. There should also be a 4:3 picture option in the display settings whether you are using HDMI or composite hookup.

HDMI only and 16:9 video settings only are extremely limiting, even if that is what the majority of TVs are today, the composite option should still be supported and reintroduced in the next model of players.