Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erwin33
Level 7

Roku Express Setting Up in Netherlands

I intend to purchase a Roku Express. Now I live in the Netherlands so I wondered if this Roku Express is doing it on the Dutch electricity grid? We use 220v here. Now I saw that the Roku can also connect to the USB port of  the TV so that he gets power. But that is not recommended due to crashes etc.? The supplied adapter can not be plugged into the socket here  so only the possibility to connect the Roku to the USB of the TV. What do you think I can do best?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: Roku Express using in Europe

You should be able to use pretty much any 220V USB power adapter (phone charger) to power the Express. The more Amps it can supply the better. They should all output 5V.

-JT
0 Kudos
erwin33
Level 7

I have a Chromecast adapter, is this good enough?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The question that should be asked is, how well will a Roku player work there? Many channels are region locked, and I have no idea what is supported where you are going. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
erwin33
Level 7

I'm gonna use it mostly for Netflix and Youtube so this functions are not region locked, it's world wide the same. I also use it for IPTV, don't know which function on Roku can use it for? But first I wanna know if I can use it here in the lowlands with the power we have over here.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"erwin33" wrote:
I'm gonna use it mostly for Netflix and Youtube so this functions are not region locked, it's world wide the same. I also use it for IPTV, don't know which function on Roku can use it for? But first I wanna know if I can use it here in the lowlands with the power we have over here.

Actually, that's not accurate. While the channels (apps) might load in every country, it doesn't mean that the service is actually available. Roku doesn't control that access, each channel developer controls what region they are allowed to work. You might get Netflix on another device, but that doesn't mean it will work on a Roku. Same with YouTube, Amazon, or a host of other channels. But for your power, I believe all of the Roku power supplies work on both US (110) and Europe (220) sources. But you of course have to have a matching plug or adapter to connect to the wall. I just looked at an old Roku 2 XS power cord, and it's rated at 100-240V and 50/60 Hz. That should cover it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
erwin33
Level 7

Maybe someone knows here on this board if Netflix and Youtube are working in Europe?
0 Kudos