Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdgeHM
Reel Rookie

Roku Express Plus crashes after initial update

I recently acquired a Roku Express+ for use with my old CRT television. Every time I start it up, I set it up, connect it to my router successfully, and it downloads an update, restarts, cycles through the Roku logo bouncing once, then no signal. I've reset it four times, connected to three different access points including a phone hotspot, and tried setting it up on two different televisions and still nothing. Do I need to return it and get a new one?

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express Plus crashes after initial update

Have you tried it on another TV? Any reason your trying to hook up a new Roku to a 20 year old TV?  You can buy a new Roku TV for $200. Did you buy this Roku off eBay or Amazon? They aren’t sold in store cause they are from 2017

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The last Roku with analog outputs was the Express+ 3910, which was released in Oct of 2017. If you just bought it, it was not new. There are no Roku players that will work with an old CRT TV, unless it's one of the early HDMI equipped sets. And even those usually don't support 1080p. In fact, some only support 1080i and 480p on the HDMI port, neither of which are supported by any model Roku. 

It sounds like the TVs you've tried don't support the resolutions that the Roku does. For your Express+, that is 720p and 1080p on the HDMI port and 480i analog with the yellow RCA connector. Which connection are you using?

I have a hunch that a replacement will do the exact same thing. If you can check it on a TV that supports 1080p, you can see if it's working correctly, and possibly change the display to the correct analog setting. I've never connected a Roku to an analog TV, so I don't know exactly what that setting might say on the Roku menu. 

With your old TV, you might simply be out of luck trying to get a streaming player connected. None of the currently available devices (Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast, Apple TV etc.) offer an analog connection any longer. I see an Express+ 3910 on Amazon for $150. For that price you can buy a new HDTV that supports 1080p that is probably close to the same size as your old CRT set. Some users have had success using an HDMI to analog converter box, and those can be found from $25 or so online. I can't offer one that is known to work.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
EdgeHM
Reel Rookie

The TV with HDMI I tested it on supports resolutions up to its native 1080p. The CRT obviously supports 480i through composite, which was why I bought that device. I don't WANT a new TV, that isn't the point. This TV is for older devices, it has a Wii, PS2, and VHS player hooked up to it, with the option of my older consoles being hooked up to it. I'd like to be able to stream things to it.

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Where did you buy this from? Amazon? eBay? 

0 Kudos
EdgeHM
Reel Rookie

Amazon.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Yeah I see it. It’s $150. It was released back in 2016 and is no longer supported. You can’t even get updates to it any longer from what I know 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Streamer317 wrote:

Yeah I see it. It’s $150. It was released back in 2016 and is no longer supported. You can’t even get updates to it any longer from what I know 

Not accurate. The 3910 is still supported by Roku, and most channels will work on it as well.

Edited to correct the model number.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Roku Express+ | HD Streaming Media Player, Includes HDMI and Composite Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M2AJZ5P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_X4S11ABJJ877JJS500ME

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@EdgeHM 

Have you tried connecting it via HDMI to a TV for initial setup? (you said you tried 2 TVs, but you didnt say how you connected for initial setup).

If you haven't, try it with HDMI to get it all updated/setup (then power off/switch to Composite).

If it still crashes/wont boot, I recommend returning it, and getting a new Express 4K+/SS4K coupled with an HDMI>Composite adapter (available from Amazon, check the specs/reviews)

-------------------------------------------------

As a tip, in order to get the best video output quality+allow all full-screen app UIs+prevent 1/4-screen bugs with the 3910, manually configure the display type to 1080p BEFORE powering down (and dont adjust it once you switch to Composite, otherwise you'll need to connect it to HDMI again etc).  You wont of course be getting 1080p, but you will be getting a higher conversion quality and fewer/no screen-draw glitches.

Also, newer RokuOS versions allow Miracast/AirPlay2 mirroring in Composite mode, so that may be of some use to you as well.

0 Kudos