Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pinknotepad
Level 7

Roku Express Not Working

Roku Express has blue light flashing. The device worked fine for several months with intermittent use. I have followed recommended tips for unhooking and rehooking it up. I have tried putting it on another TV. Nothing.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
sockthief
Level 7

Roku won't connect with tv

The TV I had my Roku express connected to died, so I hooked it up to a different TV, but the TV won't recognize it. I just get the blue "no signal" screen, even though the Roku has power. I've tried all the HDMI ports, I've reset the Roku, I've unplugged the TV and plugged it back in, and I've reset my router. It is an older TV, but not as old as the one I originally used with the Roku. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
clippersteve
Level 7

Re: Roku won't connect with tv

We're having the exact same issue!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express Not Working

@Pinknotepad @clippersteve @sockthief 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information regarding the issue you are experiencing? What are you seeing? How are you powering the device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet with the provide cable and adapter? Have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect your device to your TV?

For troubleshooting purposes have you tried connecting your device to another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
clippersteve
Level 7

Danny --

It makes no sense at all, but here is exactly what happened, and exactly what I did. 

My Roku Express is maybe 18 months old and had worked fine until last Wednesday. On that day, I had to rearrange some wires and had to unplug the HDMI cable and the USB power (from a wall outlet, btw). The roku express had worked fine in the morning.

When I hooked everything back up, there was nothing: "no signal" message on the TV. 

To eliminate the HDMI cable, I attached my chromebook to the same cable and it displayed fine.

I reset the Roku, still nothing.

At this point, I decided that the Roku had coincidentally broken at that moment and ordered a new one: Roku Express 3930.

Out of the box, I never got any output from the Roku -- did not get to the set up display. Again, double checked the HDMI cable using a different source, and it worked fine. 

At this point I have tried setting up both the new Roku and the old Roku on three different TVs (an older Westinghouse, and newish Hisense and an Insignia) -- no luck. Both the Insignia and the Hisense have working Rokus attached, a Roku 2 and a Premiere, so it's not the Wifi or anything like that -- though just in case I did rebout the router.

I have used multiple different HDMI cables and multiple USB power cords, including the one that shipped with the new Roku, plugged into an outlet -- the white light has always been illuminated on the device, so it does not seem to be a power problem.

So I'm at a loss: power seems to be on (white light, wall outlet, multiple working cables used just in case); HDMI cable works and I know what source input I'm using on the TV (tested using Chromebook); there is NO output -- at all -- from either Roku Express. Despite the fact that one of them worked earlier the same day, and the other one is brand new out of the box.

I just get "no signal" from two different Rokus, on three different TVs.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@clippersteve 

Thanks for the information.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number(s) on the Roku device(s) along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. Please also include the TV brand and model number that you are trying to connect the devices to. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Verdugo
Level 7

Hi, Danny. I'm having the exact same problems as described by @clippersteve with two (2) of my four (4) units and, coincidentally, both occurred during the same time frame. I have also gone through pretty much everything @clippersteve did to get mine working again - no joy x2. Each unit is on a different model of TV (Hisense and Element respectively) and worked just fine before this week, so I don't think the model of TV has anything to do with this issue I will also PM you my account email and the serial numbers of the affected units to add to your list.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Verdugo 

Thanks for the post.

I have responded to the PM that you sent me and will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos