Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express Not Turning On - Although Light Is On

I purchased a Roku Express about 3 weeks ago and installed it when I got it. The first day, it booted itself up and then needed to update. It would not come back on the tv after it rebooted itself. I unplugged and plugged it back in attempting to get it to come back on. The next morning I did the same thing, and it worked. Once it was up and running, I attempted to watch something on it, and it would reboot itself after 60 seconds of the show being on. Once I let it sit for a couple days, it seemed fine. Now, after about 5 days of not watching it, the light is on the receiver, but nothing shows on the tv - it doesn't even show that it is connected via the HDMI. I have unplugged and plugged it back in 10s of times in the last 3 days, but to no avail. This is by far the worst equipment I have purchased. Add to that I cannot get ahold of anyone at Roku or find a fix within the community. I am hoping someone out there can help me. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express Not Turning On - Although Light Is On

@HikingBear13 

Thanks for the inquiry.

How are you powering the device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or to the wall with the provided cables and adapter? 

Please keep us posted from there and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R I am using the provided cords and adapter. I am doing everything the way that both the booklet and the Roku website said to. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@HikingBear13 

Thanks for the update.

Have you made sure the TV is on the correct input for the HDMI input for your Roku device? Have you tried using another HDMI port to see if that resolves the issue, as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect your device?

If you are unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

I have switched HDMI inputs multiple times to still no avail. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Something similar has happened to the two Roku devices I have in the house.

Their white light is on, as normal, but now the TVs simply do not see the devices on the Source list when I scroll through.  I receive Co-Ax Digital TV, I plugged my FireTV in to test the TV -- it recognised it without hesitation, the Roku doesn't register at all.

I have unplugged and re-plugged after having inspected the power was in place at both ends, etc.  Powered not by USB, but by Mains outlet.

These are both new.  One purchased off Amazon, the other directly from Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Timeshadows 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you made sure to select the specific HDMI input that the device is plugged into? We would also recommend switching out the HDMI cable used to connect your device. Have you tried plugging the devices to another TV to test if the signal is detected there?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have tried it on a different TV, and it failed to display.

It looks like it was a lightning-effect, as it also fried a DirecTV Genie 2, and a CRT TV.

I've ordered a new Roku, and a better Surge protector.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Timeshadows 

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully you will be back up and streaming in little time!

Happy Streaming,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos