Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: roku express useless after auto update.

Jump to solution

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for reaching out here. Please provide the model of Roku device you are reporting an issue on, as well as the make/model of TV that you are connecting the device to.

I would also recommend trying to connect your device to a different TV to see if that helps you get past the setup process. If you're able to restore the display output on another TV, make sure to check for another system update before you move the device back to your original TV. 

If that isn't helping clear things up, please send me a private message with your Roku device serial number (printed on the side/back of the unit, or on the box) and I will follow up directly to continue assisting you. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
sazpt1
Level 7

Can't get past software update

Jump to solution

Brand new Roku express.  It starts the whole set up process, does software update, says it will restart and then the screen goes blank.  Did factory reset...same problem.  Any ideas before I send this thing back?

0 Kudos
ECMorgan101
Level 7

Re: Roku Express picture size

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with whatever I seem to stream and across streaming services. Adjusting 720 or 1080, and adjustments to screen ratio is not helping. I've ensured software is fully up to date. This is with a Roku Express. 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 10

Re: Can't get past software update

Jump to solution

Assuming you gave it enough time. Instead of a Factory Reset

just unplug it count to 25 and plug it back in. See what happens.

0 Kudos
sazpt1
Level 7

Jump to solution

We tried that.  And tried it an another tv.  Still stops at the exact same spot.  Smiley Sad 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 10

Jump to solution

Maybe you got a funky one.

0 Kudos
Nicimari80
Level 7

Re: Express won't restart after update

Jump to solution
Any news? I bought mine and it’s doing same thing Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Express picture size

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, 

Please try performing a factory reset on your device, then going through the setup process once more. You can see steps for performing a factory reset here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

If you continue to experience an issue, please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, along with the make/model number of your TV. We'll continue investigating the issue and follow up directly.

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Shehill
Level 7

Re: Express won't restart after update

Jump to solution

No news. Got no response so contacted Roku to get replacement. Will mail back tomorrow. Has 30 day return. If second one does not work, will return for refund. 

Good luck. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@sazpt1 Please send me a private message with your Roku's serial number (printed on the device), along with your TV's specific make/model, and I'll see what else we can do to help.

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos