Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathewnicola123
Level 7

Re: Roku Express - Not Displaying On Screen During Setup / After Updating

Jump to solution

image.jpg

tried everything nothing won’t work 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express - Not Displaying On Screen During Setup / After Updating

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

When trying to perform a factory reset on your Roku device, please make sure to press and hold down the button for at least 30 seconds regardless of what is happening on the screen.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
XR
Level 7

Re: Express won't restart after update

Jump to solution

ROKU EXPRESS

3910X

SAMSUNG

0 Kudos
Lindaoc
Level 7

Re: Roku express activation

Jump to solution

Reset of tv doesn’t work. Disconnected roku to restore tv to original but can’t get past blank screen 

0 Kudos
Lindaoc
Level 7

Jump to solution

Does not help at all. Can’t get past blank screen 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts regarding your device showing a blank screen.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

When trying to perform a factory reset, please make sure to press and hold down the reset button for at least 30 seconds regardless of what is happening on the screen.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Jerrycan
Level 7

Re: Sony Wega TV and Roku Express - set up starts, then screen goes black

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD This issue has nothing to do with our TVs, it’s a matter of a bad quality product. People continue to have this same problem and you guys don’t have any idea on how to fix it, it’s not like it’s one or two people having this issue for you to direct the issue to the type of tv we own. Yes I’ve checked my hdmi ports and yes I’ve done the reset button I’m not an idiot. May I suggest to all of you to buy the Amazon fire stick!

0 Kudos
darrellg1972
Level 7

Re: Sony Wega TV and Roku Express - set up starts, then screen goes black

Jump to solution

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

So after updating my Express from 9.4.4190 to .4200, it did the same thing as everyone else here: reboot, show the logo for about half second, then go to a black screen. This happened no matter how many times I rebooted it. I had to factory reset it. After it connected to the internet and downloaded the update, right back to the reboot and black screen issue.

After much reading here I thought the new software might update the HDMI version to one my older Samsung plasma might not use.

I tried the factory reset again, let it reboot and sit at the black screen again for about 30 minutes while reading here. Then I rebooted it again. It came back to the same "factory setup", same internet connection, same update. Except this time the reboot worked.

So this worked
1. factory reset

2. let it sit at the black screen after reboot for 30 minutes

3. reboot it again

4. go through the same factory setup.

reboot after update should work this time.

0 Kudos
jessemarie
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello, I am having this issue too. However I am getting through only the software update and the restart only to get a blank purple ish screen after the restart and then it is restarting again. 

0 Kudos