Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Roku express activation

Jump to solution

Same problem here. Worked fine then did a update now nothing. Tried everything they have suggested. This Roku problem real sucks.  It’s how spectrums offers there live tv and it’s garbage

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Roku express activation

Jump to solution

Someone should owe a reimbursement for my cable bill if I can’t watch my cable tv

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Out of box Roku Express doesn’t setup and appears locked

Jump to solution

@KShel wrote:
So hubby just plugged into a different HDMI port and it's working now... 🤷‍♀️

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Roku Express - Not Displaying On Screen During Setup / After Updating

Jump to solution

The same thing happened to me. 

Mine arrived today, I connected it to my Sony Bravia Smart TV, at first I was having trouble connecting to my home wifi then, I tried connecting it to my Wifi Extender to which it worked then, a screen pop-up about "updating software" clicked on it, then the screen went black.

The Roku logo would appear for 41 seconds after that a purple screen would show up, it would start again with the logo and purple screen it's like a constant cycle. 

I even tried unplugging, restarting, and using 3 different HDMI cables but it just won't work after the update. 

I've attached a photo on the purple screen, please help on how I would be able to resolve this.

IMG_2598.JPG

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Here's how it works.. you're gonna get a reply from a Roku employee. They'll message you in private, they'll tell you to try a different HDMI cable, try a different power cable and power adapter. Then they'll say your TV is defective.. After insisting your TV works fine, they'll capitulate and mail you a replacement Roku device, and ask that after receiving the replacement, you send back the defective unit with the prepaid shipping label.

But in my experience the replacement behaved exactly the same way the original did. So for me, it likely boils down to poor compatibility. The TV supplied by the company I work for is just too cheap to work with anything that outputs a standard resolution. It works with my laptop because the laptop is able to output any custom resolution, plus it automatically detects the TV's native resolution and outputs the appropriate signal. The TV was some bottom of the barrel cheap unit made with outdated standards, probably some oddball 720p-ish resolution from the earliest attempts at "HD"

Anyways the solution was to get a different TV because my unit wasn't compatible with hardly anything.

If yours is looping though.. this could be power issue, or software. Make sure you're using the included wall adapter since many of the USB ports on a lot of electronics, don't actually output more than half an amp, which is USB standard. Most USB powered devices need more power than the standard USB port though. That's what the wall adapters are for.

If that doesn't work, they'll send you a new unit.

Good luck dealing with support. They're worse than bots.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@corbel_23 

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Have you tried performing a factory reset on the Roku device to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

My device is plugged into my wall socket, I also pressed the reset button several times, but still no luck it would just show the intro title of Roku and then go on to project the purple screen. I have not registered my account yet, the first time I opened it I immediately connected it to my Wifi extender, it then downloaded the latest software/firmware after that a purple screen would show up. 

How come when I press the reset button the "Select Your Language" at the begging of every setup won't show up anymore? 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Express won't restart after update

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD. mines will not restart after troubleshoot or hard reset either ive tried unplugging an plugging back in not sure why this is happening all of my other roku sticks have been working just fine 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Corbel

A factory reset is different than a standard reset. This erases all your settings and data from the Roku device. It brinks the Roku back to stock factory settings and gives you the whole welcome and introduction procedure like you just bought it brand new from the store.

The only thing it doesn't remove is system updates. Those are permanent.

"press and hold the reset button firmly for about 10 seconds. The indicator light or status LED will blink rapidly on most Roku devices when the factory reset is complete"

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Nothing doesn’t work I tried everything 

0 Kudos