Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CielleBieh
Level 7

Re: Roku express activation

Jump to solution

Okay.... I have reset this device 9 times, since first unpackaging it an hour ago.

The option to cancel auto detect on display is only available AFTER you click auto detect, and you’ve got .003 seconds to locate and click cancel before the screen goes blank.

i am five minutes from ripping this thing out of my monitor, returning it, and never buying roku ever again, after being a loyal customer from the beginning.

This is a stupid problem to have, and it infuriated me that I had to replace my last one because it stopped updating, and now I’ve wasted an afternoon and $50 on a piece of trash not worth 50 cents.

ive got about 15 minutes of patience left, if anyone wants to offer up any Hail Marys.

0 Kudos
Nokapp
Level 7

Jump to solution

Screen will not go past software update please wait. Do not remove power 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@CielleBieh 

Thanks for the post.

Instead of selecting auto-detect are there any other options that you can select? Can you provide us a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Nokapp 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can activate and setup your device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
typhtaph
Level 7

Jump to solution

My Roku Express is having this issue and it does not have any display options other than "Auto-Detect."

0 Kudos
Jrcheek
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. Bought new Roku Premiere. I am able to go through steps to select my network, connect to my network and then the device restarts but then when it comes back on, it’s just a blank (dark purple) screen. That’s it. Then it wants me to go through the setup process again but it never allows me to complete the process.   Trying to connect to a Westinghouse tv and to an LG tv. HELP!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Jrcheek 

Thanks for the post.

As stated in my previous post, we would recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can activate and setup your device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TimeTorn
Level 8

Jump to solution

Okay.. I'm having the same exact issue as many others in this thread.

Just bought the Roku on walmart.com I stopped by my house a couple hours ago to pick it up on my way past. I'm an OTR trucker btw.. So I parked my truck for the night a few hours later and go to set this thing up. Roku Express +

I'm connecting it to the TV that came pre-installed in my company provided truck. It's a cheap piece of junk with only 1 HDMI port and 1 coaxial connection. That's all the inputs it has. There's also a headphone jack and a USB port labeled "service only".

It's pretty bare bones. LG Model 24LF454B

Now.. I got the thing all wired up with the HDMI cable, micro USB cable, and AC power adapter that came in the box and I plugged it into the only HDMI port I have. The screen came on, I selected English, connected it to my WiFi, so far so good...

It says it's updating. I went to make myself a sandwich, and when I looked back up, the screen is black. I hit the home button and I can hear it's on and responding to commands from the remote, it's just not able to display.

I unplugged the power and plugged it back in. There's the loading screen, ROKU logo bouncing up and down.. black screen.

Sounding familiar yet?

I followed the instructions for a factory reset but it's not doing anything different.

So... What the heck is going on here?

My theory..
People with older TVs, rather than going out and buying a whole new smart TV want to watch their favorite streaming service on their existing TVs, so they buy the ROKU. Great idea right??

The issue is that a lot of these older TVs have older HDMI ports. TV manufacturers don't always make it clear what HDMI versions are on their ports and manufacturers for certain devices like smart streaming boxes don't always make it clear what version of HDMI ports they work with.

Well guess what.. I had this same exact issue with a Chromecast. After hours dealing with Google support, I ended up returning it and getting this.

It would show the bootup Logo, then go to a black screen.

My guess is that it's using some kind of "safe mode" output signal during setup and while showing the bootup animation. When the OS loads up, it switches to some newer HDMI standard that older TVs are not compatible with.

Love the irony here.. your TV is old, so you get a smart device to make it smart, and it's not compatible because your TV is too old.

My suggestion.. Roku needs to support older HDMI versions. Simple as that. Why buy a streaming box for your old TV if it doesn't support older HDMI standards? Why buy a streaming box when your. New TV already has ROKU built in?

It's a compatibility issue.

0 Kudos
TimeTorn
Level 8

Jump to solution

Okay, I've looked into it. The TV in my truck supports HDMI 1.3 and older.

Roku Express + supports HDMI 1.4 and newer.

It's not listed on the product packaging or the Walmart website. But on the Roku website product description, it does show HDMI 1.4

0 Kudos
TimeTorn
Level 8

Jump to solution

Update: I hooked the Roku Express + to my TCL Roku tv at home, it works fine. I went into the settings and changed it to 720p, then hooked it up to the TV in my truck. Same deal. Roku turns on, displays the bootup animation, then goes black. It responds to audio, I can hear the menu sounds, but nothing but black on the display.

0 Kudos