Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku express activation

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD 

I tried different HDMI ports and different TVs and still am not having any luck. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Express - Not Displaying On Screen During Setup / After Updating

Jump to solution

Tanner, I’m on the second brand new roku express. I am starting to think that he may be right about them being defective. I will hold off on any further suspicions until I hear back. Thanks for replying. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Drew09sa  Thanks for confirming. A couple more questions: 

- Have you tried using a different micro-USB cable and wall power adapter to power your device, such as one from a mobile phone? If you are trying to power your device from a USB port on a TV, etc. this may not provide enough power for your device, and could result in unexpected behavior. 

- What are the specific make and model of the multiple TVs that you have tried connecting the device to?

With more details, we can help pass your report along to the team. If you need further assistance, please feel free to send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number(s) of your Roku device (printed on the unit itself), and I'll have our support team reach out directly. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD 

i tried setting it up at my mothers house so I’m not sure of the exact models but they are all Samsung TVs that are within 6-7 years old (all have HDMI ports). I am using wall power for the adapter. The support team can reach me at [personal information removed]. I can give them my cell number then. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Drew09sa  Thanks for confirming. Please try taking a look in the TV's settings menu or on that back of the TV for the specific model information. We'll need that to help take a closer look from here. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

solution Re: Roku Express - Not Displaying On Screen During Setup / After Updating

Jump to solution

The solution is to stop buyiing / selling the Express.   I wasted weeks troubleshooting, returning and trying different devices, etc.   The model that looks like a big memory stick works fine.   It costs more, but works as it should.   ROKU should realize this and should be telling this to folks with the problem, I reported this resolution weeks ago.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: solution Re: Roku Express - Not Displaying On Screen During Setup / After Updating

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD 

I received a replacement Express from ROKU today and it did the same thing and bricked and stopped working after the software update.

DO NOT BUY THE ROKU EXPRESS.

Don't tell me to check the wires, the tv, the wifi, the power supply--the Express does not work and bricks after doing the software update.  I asked to be sent a different Roku device and you did not and its the SAME PROBLEM.  I am no longer buying ROKU.

This sucks, you have completely wasted my time and money.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: solution Re: Roku Express - Not Displaying On Screen During Setup / After Updating

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I just caved in and paid a little extra to get the Roku Streaming Stick+. But I agree. They are all defective once the initial update is downloaded. To be honest, I have to buy another streaming stick and I doubt it will be a Roku product at this point. I would think a credit should be in order for their two defective Express products I purchased. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku express activation

Jump to solution

https://youtu.be/DlmuN1fLbXM

Can someone look into my problem?see video posted on YouTube

I tried a normal set up the logo bounces around choose ingles then internet connection, then updating the system Roku will restart after update done and it never connects back into hdmi I've try multiple tv with same results..

Please help. Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@djdjk  Thanks for following up. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you're running into. Please send me a private message with the device ID printed on the replacement unit you most recently received, along with your Roku account email address, and the specific brand & model of TV that you are connecting the device to. I'll follow up from there to assist you further and see what other options we can provide. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos