Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Express set up properly, powers on, then goes black.

Jump to solution

Black screen after Roku logo screen.   So i tried the A/V cable connection to my TV, thinking maybe the Roku unit was set by default to the A/V output. I got the screen, and it did a software update,rebooted Then followed the screens till it came to what connection to use. selected HDMI then disconnected the A/V connection. and from there continued with the activation with the HDMI connection. 

My Roku was a Roku Express+ and it has an A/V port & cable. So I guess that would not help with the Roku Express unit. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Express set up properly, powers on, then goes black.

Jump to solution

How configurar the Roku to a/V? I need  to buy the cable of a/v

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

can't get tv channels to appear...stuck on roku screen

Jump to solution

I set up Roku and connected it to my wireless router.  Used the code from the Roku screen.  After activation the roku screen said all done, but I can't find any option or roku remote key to let me exit roku screen so I can see my Spectrum channels.  Still have WOW cable hooked up.  Do I need to cancel wow before I get the Spectrum channels ?  The spectrum guy was out earlier to do some work on the telephone pole, and now my spectrum internet works, but like I said, I can't get out of the roku screen.  Any ideas ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku express activation

Jump to solution

Just bought a new Roku Express+ and I am having the same issue after logging in to my WiFi on the initial setup. I’ve done a dozen factory resets of at least fifteen seconds which only provides the Roku logo on my TV before shutting down.  Is there another solution? If not, I’ll be returning the product tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I cant get my New Roku Express to work on any tv i have I had set it up last night on my Vizio Smart TV so I could watch Disney+ and then this morning it would not start up past the ruko jumpimg screen! I have tried to reset it and even moved it to another tv and I cant get into any settings to chnage nothing it just gives me a black Screen! I just bought it 3 days ago!!!!

Any news on how this is going to be fixed or resolved!

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@pmarx09 @yc_dpt 

Thanks for the note.

We would recommend trying to perform a factory reset on your device. Performing a factory reset will reset all settings and return your Roku device to a state ready for initial setup. When performing a factory reset, make sure to hold down the reset button for 30 seconds.

Once the device restarts, go through set up again until you get to Display Settings. Instead of choosing the automatic display type, press cancel and manually select '720p' as the Display Type.

This should allow you to proceed through setup.

For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: New ruku express tv screen goes blank after update restart

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. It will allow me to set it up on the internet, after that it goes to a black screen. The brand and model of the TV is: Toshiba Model No. 32C110U1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: New ruku express tv screen goes blank after update restart

Jump to solution

Based on my very recent experience, take that ROKU Express or even the Express +, and return it.   I've tried 2 different Express models and 1 Express +.   Each of them became a fishing sinker after the software update.   If you have a neighbor whose dog leaves land mines in your yard, bring it over to them as an olive branch gesture. They can have fun with it for a week or so.   

I decided to go up the ladder in models, and have gotten the Streaming Stick + to work.   No checking my network, no rebooting my cable modem, no rebooting my wireless router, no need to get frustrated with the lame suggestions from ROKU support - proving they are not reading anyone's reported issues and what they have tried.  

Basically, return the express and/or express +, spend an additional @$20 and get a streaming stick.  

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have been having same issue. We purchased 4 rook devices and this is the only one giving us problems. TOTALLY FRUSTRATING THERE IS NO support to call for this device!

I cannot get to the screen type setup... it goes to the language screen and then I enter network password and it returns to the language screen. Over and over again. PLEASE HELP This device is useless

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'M HAVING SIMILAR ISSUE AND READY TO SCREAM! DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A SOLUTION? 

0 Kudos