Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wmatthew1989
Level 7

Ruku express

Jump to solution
New ruku Express connects to internet and does update but after update is finished it restarts flashes the ruku logo then dose nothing even after i try to unplug and restart it just flashes the logo and won't do anything. If I wait a few min or hold the reset I can get it to go back to set up screen go through everything again and after the update is finished and it restarts itself it goes to blank screen and tv says that there are no device's connected to tv.
0 Kudos
Wmatthew1989
Level 7

New ruku express tv screen goes blank after update restart

Jump to solution
Trying to set up a new ruku express it connected to internet fine and dose the update but as soon as it restarts it the screen goes black and won't come back on if I try to restart it manually it just flashes the ruku logo on screen and screen goes blank. If I wait a few minutes it will load and go to select a language the wifi set up and update but dose the same exact thing over again.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New ruku express tv screen goes blank after update restart

Jump to solution

@Wmatthew1989 @Maknyc @LanceE @pd123 @sazpt1 @Thromper 

For anyone who is still experiencing this issue, please post the specific make & model of TV that you are trying to connect your Express to when you encounter the issue during setup and see a blank/black screen. This information helps our team investigate your reports. 

Please also send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the unit). I'll continue working with you to see what else we can recommend. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kq92
Level 7

Roku express activation

Jump to solution

When trying to activate my new roku express, the roku turns off before completing activation. I have tried different hdmi cords, unplugged and replugged, factory reset, regular restart, reconnected the internet multiple times, tried different codes. Can anyone help? I'm getting very frustrated.

[post merged with already existing thread]

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku express activation

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for reaching out. We're continuing to investigate this issue. In the meantime, please try the following steps to see if this helps: 

1. If you see a black/blank screen after seeing a software update when attempting to go through setup, please perform a factory reset by gently pressing down the reset button in your device for 15 seconds. 
3. Once the device restarts, go through set up again until you get to Display Settings.
4. Instead of choosing the automatic display type, press cancel and manually select '720p' as the Display Type.

This should allow you to proceed through setup. Please let us know if this helps! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Billy1969
Level 7

Keeps restarting during setup

Jump to solution
Trying to set up Roku Express + and it keeps Restarting. Continuously restarting and freezing, even the controller will freeze. Controller connecting with Box, you press a button and the blue light does blink
0 Kudos
ergordon4
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have already done factory reset. My screen goes black after it connects to teh internet. I don't get the display settings at all. I need this to work by 12/1. I have already lost my ability to return it (this has taken so long to fix) so I just need it to work.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@ergordon4 Thanks for letting us know. If you haven't already, could you please try performing the steps I listed above once more, then let me know if you still aren't able to select 720p for your display type? 

If possible, feel free to record a brief video clip of the behavior and send me a link via private message to review it. I can help pass this along to our team investigating this issue. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
brenna1
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem described by many others in this post.  I've tried multiple times by unplugging/ plugging in, different HCMI cable, different HDMI port, pushing the restart button >15 seconds - no change in results. I don't come to a display type screen.  Just language, then internet connection, then software update. In other posts you say to send a PM, but I don't see a way to do that - when I click on your name I get your profile but no way to contact.  My email is bdill001@sc.rr.com.

0 Kudos
brenna1
Level 7

Jump to solution

Since this has been going on for almost 2 months (per this string) apparently without resolution, I'll plan to send it back tomorrow if I haven't heard anything and pursue getting a different device.  So much for your "deal".

0 Kudos