Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Maknyc
Level 7

Roku Express - Not Displaying On Screen During Setup / After Updating

Jump to solution

Brand new Roku Express right out of box.  Installed as directed...received initial setup screen on TV.  Added and logged in to WiFi network.  Unit immediately downloaded new software...said not to power down.  Then nothing....unit reverts to completely blank screen.  Pressing remote control buttons are acknowledged by sound from TV, but not visual menus.  Assumed software download might be corrupted so tRied hard reset by inserting paper clip for 20 seconds, disconnecting power, and restarting.  Initially get Roku startup letters on screen (bouncing), then reverts back to blank screen.  Any ideas before I return?  

And as an aside, what type of sh-t company doesn’t even offer direct support for a finite period?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku express activation

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for reaching out. We're continuing to investigate this issue. In the meantime, please try the following steps to see if this helps: 

1. If you see a black/blank screen after seeing a software update when attempting to go through setup, please perform a factory reset by gently pressing down the reset button in your device for 15 seconds. 
3. Once the device restarts, go through set up again until you get to Display Settings.
4. Instead of choosing the automatic display type, press cancel and manually select '720p' as the Display Type.

This should allow you to proceed through setup. Please let us know if this helps! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
53 Replies
Kkrebs
Level 7

Re: Express won't restart after update

Jump to solution
I've had the same problems with mine which was also brand new. Very frustrating/disappointing! No luck with troubleshooting or reseting...
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Kkrebs Were you able to get the issue with your device resolved? If not, feel free to send me a PM and I'll connect you with our support team for more assistance. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
jobstart
Level 7

Jump to solution

Resetting the device through the pinhole. Holding for more than 30 seconds. The device starts up fresh- on the second step after connecting to the internet it requires an update, finished the update and restarts once with Roku logo for less than a second and restarts again without any signal to the tv.

0 Kudos
TiCoCo
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD I am having this same issue. it’s a Roku on a guest tv so doesn’t get used very often. The apps wouldn’t work because an update was needed. But the restart just goes blank after a second of the roku dancing. I have tried the rest but now I’m stuck there with the update not completing. I would love any direction you could provide 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@TiCoCo I'd recommend making sure you are using the included wall power adapter to power the device. 

Take a look here for the correct steps for performing a factory reset, and give them a try again: https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

If you are using the hardware method to press the internal reset button, make sure you are holding the reset button down for a solid 15 seconds before releasing it. 

If that still isn't resolving the issue, I'd recommend trying to connect it to a different TV and see if that allows you to get set up again. 

Keep us posted from there! 

Cheers,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Dave22
Level 7

Jump to solution

Solved - at least for me!  My ROKU express was on an HDMI connector into my A/V receiver, which then connected to my TV.  When the Express re-boots after the update, it wants to check for supported video formats, which apparently causes the video to drop-out through the receiver.  On a whim, I decided to try to plug the HDMI cable directly into the TV from the ROKU, and it worked!  Unfortunately, there appears to be an issue with the HDMI signal from the ROKU Express, and although it works directly to the TV, it will NOT work through my Denon receiver.   My other media players have no such issues.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Dave22 Thanks for the details. A few more questions: 

- What model of Roku Express are you using?

- What is the specific model of Denon receiver are you using?

- What is the specific make & model of TV that you are using? 

I'd like to help take a closer look to see if we can help. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Dave22
Level 7

Jump to solution

Sure, here is the config.  ROKU Express 2019 - SKU 3930R, Denon AVR-X2000, Samsung UN65F7.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks @Dave22 

I'll pass these details along to my team to investigate. I'll be in touch if we have any further updates or questions. Please stay tuned! 

Cheers,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos