Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris5
Level 7

Re: Express won't restart after update

Jump to solution

Similar issue for me. Just upgraded to a Roku Express + 3910RW.
- Starts with the Language Screen
- I connect to my network - three green checks
- Says it has to update software
- Software updates through 100%
- I get the "ROKU" and purple screen for about 30 seconds
- Then it starts again at the language screen again. Cycles over and over like this.  Anytime the software update is complete it sends me back to the "Lets get started" language screen.
I've held the restart button down for 30+ seconds (I've done ~5 restarts), and the HDMI is plugged directly into the TV. Any ideas on a fix?
Thanks!

0 Kudos
Shehill
Level 7

Re: Express won't restart after update

Jump to solution

Same problem with brand new Express+.  Goes thru setup of network.  Downloads upgrade.  Logo flashes on screen then nothing.  Need resolution please

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Leisajnd37
Level 7

Set up screen still showing after setting up my account

Jump to solution
I set up my account but the screen on my TV shows I still need to set my account up I cannot access anything
0 Kudos
Thromper
Level 7

Roku Express set up properly, powers on, then goes black.

Jump to solution
Whenever I turn the Roku on, it plays the loading animation then goes black. Whenever I switch the input, it flashes the language select screen then goes black. I had previously set up the network for it, and haven't been able to do anything since. Sometimes the white light is solid, sometimes it blinks, the result is always the same though.
0 Kudos
KShel
Level 7

Re: Out of box Roku Express doesn’t setup and appears locked

Jump to solution
No help but dealing with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. What's your TV brand?
0 Kudos
KShel
Level 7

Jump to solution
So hubby just plugged into a different HDMI port and it's working now... 🤷‍♀️
0 Kudos
LanceE
Level 8

Jump to solution

my roku express setup was going fine until I gave it an internet connection, then the auto update

happened, the roku then restarted and went to a blank purple screen, stayed that way for

at least 10 min. finally cut the power to it. powered back on to the same thing, blank purple screen.

after 4 try's, then tried reset button on back, now it won't go beyond the bouncing roku screen.

so now what. seems like the auto update is what sabotaged it.

this roku express came from sam's club.

0 Kudos
Maknyc
Level 7

Jump to solution

TV is Vizio.  But pretty sure irrelevant.  Display was working in earliest of setup phase.  And now in its dead phase I do see the Roku startup page (Bouncing letters) on boot before it goes blank.

Mine came from Best Buy on 11/14/19.

Shocking I get more corporate support from the manufacturer of a spoon I might buy at Bed Bath & Beyond!

0 Kudos
tarheeluser
Level 7

Roku Express picture size

Jump to solution

My Roku Express will randomly reduce in size on my 50" screen.  I will go from full screen to about 1/3 screen in the upper left.  This only happens during tv shows.  If I go "home", its full screen.  When I return to programming, I get the same 1/3 screen.  I have to reboot the Roku (disconnect the power) to correct the problem.  It generally lasts until the following day.

0 Kudos
Ti
Level 7

Re: roku express useless after auto update.

Jump to solution
Similar experience here. Got mine directly from Roku on an offer for replacing an old XD. Get it on wifi, let it update, then it goes to the bouncy letters, purple screen, and right back to lets get started. Guess I'll have to find out how to send it back.
0 Kudos