Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express+ No Display during setup.

I am attempting to connect a #RokuExpress+ with a Sony TV. I have followed all of the instructions, watched the how-to video on the Roku page and read through the message boards on Roku Support and still can’t seem to get a display on my screen during initial setup.

I have a satellite receiver next to the machine and this has allowed me to check the HDMI port on my tv and HDMI cord, both work. But I still can’t seem to get a display. The white light comes on indicating the Roku is connected to power, but still no display on my tv? 

What do I do? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku Express+ No Display during setup.

You should be getting something in the way of a Splash or Home or something.

Make sure your Surce/Imput is set correctly.

Try Resetting put a paper clip into that little hole in the rear and hold it in a good

25 seconds. You should see something on the screen. Be patient.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Plugged into HDMI 1 and input turned to HDMI 1. 

Held reset button on the back in for 30 and 60 second intervals. Still no display.

Any other suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

The light is on on the front of the Roku.

Absolutely nothing happens on the screen through this process where it worked with another

connection.

Youre sure the HDMI cable is ok.

Sounds like a funky Roku to me probably.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Yes. The white light on the front of the Roku stays on. 

Yes, the HDMI cable works fine. I tested it out by using it as the connection for the satellite receiver I have right next to it and it worked just fine. 

My best guess is some kind of bad HDMI port on the Roku because the cable itself and the HDMI port on the tv work for the satellite receiver. 

I suppose I should submit a warranty claim? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Maybe.

You should see some sort of reaction on the screen.

If you haven't tried swapping it out with an entirely different cable.......

0 Kudos