Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_chem-e_
Level 7

Roku Express Error "Code 005" Initial Setup--Solved!

OK so I searched several forums and found no direct, to-the-point instruction for fixing a repeating error Code 005 on initial setup of the Roku Express, so thought I'd post what worked for me.  Just bought my Roku Express on Monday 10/29/18 and this is what I had to do.

Problem:  When doing initial setup, the Roku Express connected easily to the network, local network and internet (three green checks) after following instructions for installation and signing in to my local WiFi.  It then stated that an update was necessary and provided an "OK" button to select.  However, when selecting the "OK" button the progress never moved from 0%.  In just a few seconds, it said "The software update server could not be reached. There may be a problem with your network", asked me to try again or cancel and try again later, and stated error "code 005".  No matter how many times I tried again, double-checked my network, factory reset the Roku Express, unplugged and plugged it back in to reboot, or anything else I tried, update progress would not pass 0% and the same error code was given.

Solution:  
1)  DO NOT select the "OK" button.  This solution will not work if the error screen is present.  If you have already selected "OK" and gotten the error message, just unplug the Roku Express and plug it back in to reboot it, or factory reset it using the same "Secret Screen" accessed in the below instructions, then reconnect to the network to get back to the update screen with the "OK" button.
2)  With the update screen and "OK" button displayed on the screen, press the remote buttons in the following order to access the "Secret Screen" that has the manual update software function (also includes factory reset, etc.):  

Home 5X, then Fast Forward 3X, then Rewind 2X

3)  Once on the "Secret Screen", verify the IP Address is not "0.0.0.0" and use the down arrow on the remote to move to "Update software", then select "OK" on the remote.
4)  The software should manually update, showing progress to 100%.  Then your Roku Express should work normally and you can complete the setup.  Worked for me and no issues since.

If this doesn't work the first time, you may need to reboot both your router and your Roku Express for it to obtain a new IP address (unplug both the router and the Roku Express, wait 30 secs, plug the router back in, wait for internet and WiFi to be restored...confirm this on your phone or other device, then plug Roku Express back in) and then try the above sequence 1-4 again.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
adgilcan
Level 7

Re: Roku Express Error "Code 005" Initial Setup--Solved!

That is genius.  Thank you so much!

There is clearly an issue which Roku hasn't publicised.  I have no idea how you discovered this "secret screen" but it saved my set-up.

Thanks again.  Works like a charm.
0 Kudos
bobbyg1124
Level 7

Ok I followed these instructions perfectly 3 times and it didn't work. Still can't download the initial update. I returned one express only to have the same issues with the next one. I have fantastic internet and I was able to setup one express with no issues, the second one won't download that initial update.

The fact that Roku doesn't even offer customer support for this device is kinda horse sh!t. I realize it's a cheap device but their help page for this issue is basically "make sure you're on your WiFi" ... No shit. I'm returning this second one and buying a device from a company that actually provides real customer support.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bobbyg1124

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! I'd be happy to help take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running. 

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of the device (located on the bottom of the unit) and your current location when trying to set up the device. I'll follow up directly to assist you further. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
estcampos
Level 7

Same here (Roku Express). I have tried several times, tried with different ips and even tried to connect it by sharing a wireless network with my laptop. Every single time I try I end up getting the error 005. Tried to contact Roku's "superb" support and guess what, it doesn't even exist. All you get is "try looking at these FAQs". So I'm really giving up on it. If anyone is experiencing this issue and doesn't get solved by following these steps, return your unit and buy another device from other company which actually offers customer support.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@estcampos,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing.

Please PM me with your Roku account email address, and the serial number of your device found in Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to continue assisting you.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
mlbateswi
Level 7

I am getting this error too no matter what I try. Who can I PM to fix this??
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mlbateswi

Have you tried using a different wireless network to set up your device? 

See more tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue here: https://support.roku.com/article/115002796148-what-should-i-do-if-my-roku-device-is-unable-to-update...

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
mlbateswi
Level 7

@RokuTannerD - like my neighbor's wireless? It connects just fine to my router. I can see it in the router software as well and on the "secret screen" I do in fact have a valid IP address. However no matter what I do I keep getting error code 005. I have done the factory reset and tried again 5 times. This is our household's 5th Roku device and the first we have had an issue with. I've already spent an hour on this problem that seems to be a known issue. If you can't help me then its going to get returned.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mlbateswi

Another wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, is what we typically suggest to test on. A neighbor's network might also be an option, assuming you have permission, etc. 

This isn't so much a known issue, as a symptom that can occur when there is a network issue preventing your device from connecting and updating correctly. See: https://support.roku.com/article/115002796148-what-should-i-do-if-my-roku-device-is-unable-to-update...

Have you tried unplugging your wireless router/modem to reboot your network, then restart your Roku and try again from there? If that isn't working, I would again suggest trying another wireless network (or using a wired ethernet cable connection, if your specific device supports this type of connection.) 

Please keep us posted from there and we'll continue assisting you, if need be. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos