Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Express: Error Code 004

Recently bought a Roku express.  Connected fine but when to update software and it says software failed due to an internal error 

error code: 004.  
Any idea what this may be? 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express: Error Code 004

@AmberChantel 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a look a the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

In addition, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update your device. Then once your device has been updated, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sp0o0kyC

This doesn't answer what error code 004 means. I, too, am having the same issue while trying to set up a new TCL 6 series tv. 

For reference, tv is connected via Ethernet, modem has been power cycled a few times, internet speed is good (above 100mbps) and working on every other device. I've tried doing initial software update but it hangs at 49% every time before giving error code 004. Created a mobile hotspot using phone and connected TV wirelessly to it to try update and once again hung up at 49% before giving error code 004. Clarification on what error code 004 is would be appreciated. 

Joe35car
Reel Rookie

@AmberChantel wrote:

Recently bought a Roku express.  Connected fine but when to update software and it says software failed due to an internal error 

error code: 004.  
Any idea what this may be? 

Remove your microsd and try. 

0 Kudos
Jpraz

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the exact same issue on my TCL Roku Tv as well

0 Kudos
Joe35car
Reel Rookie

Try removing the microsd card. I swapped mine out and it worked fine. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

A Roku Express doesn't have a microSD card.  Stop offering that advice.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Donato

I took I took the MicroSD card out and it updated no problem

0 Kudos
Arqelias

This work for me I took the SD card and make a hard reset on Roku 3