Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robbo2
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4K+ has no A/V Out terminal

Jump to solution

My Roku Express has an A/V Out terminal, so that I can play sound through a separate amp.  My Roku Express 4K+ arrived without that terminal.  ???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express 4K+ has no A/V Out terminal

Jump to solution

Yes, it's been a few years since Roku sold a device with analog connectors, presumably since people weren't buying them.  A couple of solutions are to get an Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) with HDMI inputs, or to get an HDMI Audio Extractor.  The latter are cheap but sometimes people get one that doesn't work, so buy from a place that makes returns easy.  Another option that may work for you is to run an optical cable out of the TV to the amp. (Requires optical ports on both the TV and amp of course.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Exactly!! Roku's haven't had rca outputs since the express+ 2710. All since are hdmi only. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, it's been a few years since Roku sold a device with analog connectors, presumably since people weren't buying them.  A couple of solutions are to get an Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) with HDMI inputs, or to get an HDMI Audio Extractor.  The latter are cheap but sometimes people get one that doesn't work, so buy from a place that makes returns easy.  Another option that may work for you is to run an optical cable out of the TV to the amp. (Requires optical ports on both the TV and amp of course.)

0 Kudos
robbo2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m running the HDMI video stream through a plasma monitor and the sound through one of the optional channels of a Harmon Kardon receiver. (From an older Roku Express)

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@robbo2 

Are you sure it was a Roku Express? There has never been a Roku Express with A/V jacks.

Now, Walmart did carry an Express+ that had, I believe, a 2.5mm 3.5mm port that connected a 2.5mm 3.5mm to RCA cable for A/V. I think both the 3710 and 3910 Express+ (Walmart exclusives) had the port. I believe it was discontinued about 3-4 years ago, and Roku hasn't had a device through it's main store, nor through any other retailer, that had any type of A/V connection, since then.

No device had the full-size RCA jacks since the Roku 1 model 2710, later rebranded as the Roku SE and sold at Walmart and other retailers for Black Friday. The last of those was 2016/2017 timeframe.

The point is, as others mentioned, that it is not, and for some time has not, been standard on Roku devices, and not at all for a few years.

NOTE: Edited to reflect 3.5mm as the size, per response from @Tivoburkee 

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
robbo2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s an Express+ 3710 I bought several years ago from Amazon.  It has the single 2.5 mm A/V Out port. Per Strega’s advice, I’ve ordered an HTML Extractor that will enable me to use the Express 4K+ with my existing configuration.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

With your roku you have, all you need is the right breakout cable turn the 3.5mm into rca jacks. Like this one that is out of stock:

5 ft. Composite A/V Cable (3.5mm to RCA) | Roku

You can't just any 3.5mm to rca cables, roku are wired differently then most. If you have the wrong cable the video will show up coming out of audio cable, and audio is coming out of the yellow video. 

Try here:

5ft 3.5mm AUX to 3 RCA Composite A/V Cable Cord for Roku LT HD XD1080p XDS | eBay

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

In response to @Tivoburkee’s reply…

I understand that this thread is now about five months old, but I think you might be confused.  It was model no. 3910 that was the last Roku with analog RCA outputs (released 2017, discontinued 2018).  The 2710 was released under the name “Roku 1” in 2013.  

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos