Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DannyZg
Level 7

Roku Express 3900 on/off issue

Hi,

I am obviously newbie andhave a question regarding Roku Express 3900EU
How do you turn on/off Roku Express 3900EU?
I turned it on by connecting to power source but now can't find where to press or use option to turn it off wxcept unpluging from power inlet.
Thank you
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Express 3900 on/off issue

Roku players do not have power on/off. They use so little power when not in use that it is better to leave it on, rather than waiting for it to boot up from a power off. If you still desire to power it completely off, I suggest a power strip with an on/off switch. This of course still means you have to go to the strip to flip the switch. 
Remember that if you have something with a power switch on a remote, the device is never truly "off". It has to remain on in a low power state to receive a command from the remote. That is basically all the Roku is doing, sitting at low power idle, waiting for a remote command.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DannyZg
Level 7

Thanks for information.

I noticed that Roku gets warm.. should I monitor that somehow or just leave it like that?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"DannyZg" wrote:
Thanks for information.

I noticed that Roku gets warm.. should I monitor that somehow or just leave it like that?

People have reported significant temperatures with their Roku players, but Roku staff have always assured that it is considered a normal temp. I don't worry about mine. They are on all the time, and I've never experienced an issue that could be heat related. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, as far as I have read, there is no direct way to turn off your Roku unless you have a Roku 4 and above. The only way for older models to be powered off as is to disconnect it from the power source.
"One finger is all it takes." - Tsunade Hime.
0 Kudos
Aprilmae84
Level 7

Is my device possibly defective if It doesnt stay powered on and I have to unplug and plug back in to get it to turn on?
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

"Aprilmae84" wrote:
Is my device possibly defective if It doesnt stay powered on and I have to unplug and plug back in to get it to turn on?

Rokus go to sleep just like your computer and you should be able to wake it up just by pressing any button on the remote, if that's not working and your Roku isn't waking up with a button press then yes, there may be something wrong.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

Easy, Peasy.  My own solution for all Roku models (I own 2 models).  Insurance & peace of mind that the little gizmos don't eat up more data/bandwidth than I want them to.  See:
How To Easily Turn Any Roku On Or Off Without Pulling It Out Of It’s Port All The Time
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=152944&p=645035&hilit=Plug+In+On%2FOff+Switch#p645035[/...
0 Kudos
Ottis
Level 1

I’m also experiencing this and have read other complaints about it. So if the device isn’t waking up with a button press what is the problem? If Roku won’t give live support then where do you address this problem? I also believe it’s effecting my devices ability to update. The device isn’t able to automatically restart after the update. I have to unplug & plug back in (sometimes several times) and the device never actually updates. I’m not able to access roku’s own channel or Sling which I pay for.
0 Kudos